BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

Vintage Poirier or Duluth Pack

HitchHiking

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Continuing to add to my collection of vintage and historic packs I happend into this old beauty.

The lable has been removed in years past but the bauty of the pack still remains. I cannot track where this pack is from but the donor reckoned it may have been from a forestry officer in British Columbia. From that I have hint that it may be the Canadian manufactured packs by the company Woods Canada.

Other then that I have nothing else to go on. The numbers printed on the bag come up with nothing.

The bag though, is a great bit of kit that I am very pleased to have. As can be seen in the pictures its in good condition from the canvas right down to the leather.

The exciting part of this pack is that it still has its tumpline connected. Something that goes missing even though it is vital to the comfort of this style of pack!

Its is very big and will carry eveything that is needed on an epic Canoe trip.

I love these packs and the romance and history behind them.

IMG_5508.jpg

IMG_5505.jpg

IMG_5506.jpg

IMG_5507.jpg

IMG_5504.jpg

IMG_5510.jpg

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Nice pack. I love these old packs and the one you have there looks in excellent condition, a nice find indeed!

Recently I thought I would go old school and purchased a Frost River Cliff Jacobson signature pack. Only had it for less than a week. Last Sunday I loaded it up with 7 kilos of kit and went on a 14km hike through the local bushland. I was amazed at how comfortable it was. The quality is absolutely brilliant; handmade in Minnesota. I am heading off for three week holiday and plan to give it a real workout after which I will write a review.

6618223499_cb5d69629c_z.jpg

Last edited:

HitchHiking

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
That is a beautiful pack. I love that design of the one side pocket and then two small set verticaly on the otherside. Nessmuck sure was an amazing fella. I just added Woodcraft and Camping to my library.

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
That is a beautiful pack. I love that design of the one side pocket and then two small set verticaly on the otherside. Nessmuck sure was an amazing fella. I just added Woodcraft and Camping to my library.

This one is a variation on the pack you mention. It has a large pocket on both sides. I was a little torn between which style to get and thought I'd prefer two large pockets to hold water bottles. I think latter down the track I may purchase a bigger model canvas bag although this one is adequate for a two day hike, if you don't mind traveling with minimal kit.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I love these old canvas packs. The old school look, touch and feel of canvas and durability all have massive apppeals. If only someone would make one with some decently padded straps.

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Hi Blake, yes the old style packs look great. The pack I have purchased, doesn't have padded straps, but I must say they have not caused any discomfort. I could be lucky in that the harness is a perfect match for my frame. Another factor is that the Cliff Jacobson pack is a day pack so the most I will load into it is about 7 kg max. Frost River make a dedicated bushcraft pack that does have padded straps, I'm thinking of buying this latter in the year.

Tomorrow I'm heading off on a 20 km walk through the wombat state forest with a friend. I will be taking my new pack so it will be interesting to see how my shoulders are at the end of the walk.

Duluth packs also make a padded strapped bushcraft pack, but it is very expensive.