BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Victorinox - Fire steel & Tinder

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
There have been a similar thing - ferro rod to replace the tooth pick. I actually like the tooth pick and the small screwdriver - I carry a separate ferro rod in my kit, a peanut lighter in my urban kit.

old4570

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Back in the Time machine , going way back to the 80's ..
I had a BIC lighter and some of those BBQ starters .. ( White tablet that burned for some time )

Damp wood - No problem ... As long as the wood was not wet right thru ( Rotted ) ...
And then there was always the bushman's trick , petrol .
Now I carried a small bottle of kero .. Very small , thimble sized ..
Soak the wood in kero , a little BBQ starter and that BIC = No problems !

Things have changed , now people are into Ferro Rods and doing things the hard way .... ( Fun to play with - even I play )
In a genuine 100% survival situation , ?????????? ( Who the hell want's to do it the hard way ? )
Especially if you have broken a leg or an arm / or heaven forbid your back .
At least that was my thinking when I went bush , I was thinking .... How do you do S*** with a broken arm ?

These days , would you not just buy an emergency beacon ? Especially if you go bush alone or a lot !
?????????
Ooooops , went off track there ...

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
It's Expensive ... $$
Only saw one on FeeBay ... & it's $$$

A BIC lighter is much cheaper ! ( Check these out )
that can be said about everything and is relative. Many don't even carry a Bic lighter in their fire kits (I know I don't, as I favour Clippers as IMHO they are superior)

Plus as far as fire goes I favour flint and steel, it is my default, but I always have a ferro rod in my kit as well. My primary fire kit wouldn't even have a clipper lighter in it, I am at the stage of not needing that sort of sure-fire. Of course, I would have one in my secondary kits.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I think of the ferro rod as pretty fool proof and not much to go wrong when you need it (if you need it). I carry a peanut lighter in an urban kit, for convenience - I've probably used this most for melting the ends of nylon cord or gas stove or barbecue when no one else has a match or lighter. Even though it is simple there are still things that can go wrong with it - damaged seal, fuel evaporated or leaked, the systems for flint and wick etc. Even bic lighters ideally need a zip tie wrapped under the fuel tap to keep the tap from getting depressed while stored / carried. Also, it's a bit of work if they get wet - much easier to dry a ferro rod. Lighters are a popular option and generally shouldn't be any trouble. Fire lighting for me is when something has gone wrong, so I don't reguarly make a fire. I actually practice with a ferro rod regularly (once or twice a year), but just enough to get tinder going. So, if I have to access my ferro rod in my bush kit after a year or two of not laying eyes on it (it's not the rod I practice with) I can be pretty confident that it is still going to produce sparks. I wouldn't have the same confidence with a lighter. There is a lot to be said for the convenience and general reliability of a bic lighter, especially if someone is a regular user. What I have found is that people generally need some skill getting a fire started - a lighter won't make up for poor skill especially if things are damp. I've see them with a ready make flame and they still give up. Not such an issue for you dudes in drier areas :). As most of us would know - time and effort should be spent in preparing the tinder and larger fuels prior to using the lighter or ferro rod. This seems the more important factor to me - not whether I'm using a lighter or ferro rod.

Last edited:

old4570

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Smarties Tube !
Supermarket , candy isle .. Plastic tube with a tight top ( Smarties in a tube )
These containers are great ..
Also certain medicine tubes ..
And there was other stuff that came in a Tube with a top .. Berocca comes in a tube ..

old4570

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
_IGP1666.JPG
Fuel.JPG

Compressed Hexamine from the early 1980's ( Vintage Stuff )
Also my 1980's BIC lighter - It's empty ... ( Of course )
Silva Compass ... ( When people actually used a compass ) Didn't everyone upgrade to GPS ?
KFC Wipes ... Also 1980's Vintage ...
Mosquito head netting ...
And cookware , Nylon rope from the 80's ..
Hay fever meds from the 90's ...

Bush belt is empty now !

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
also, I think everyone is missing the point with these ferro rod inserts/firelighters, they are meant as an emergency backup to your other primary firefighting kits. You add them to your SAK and only use them in case you have lost/are down to nothing else. They are not meant as a primary firefighting system.

Granted you have to practice with them but I would not rely on them as a primary firefighting system.

old4570

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I might be overdosed on " ALONE ..... ( Survival Series ) "
Primary source of fire , is their ferro . ( In the series )

Also just watched the Swedes do their Version of Alone ( So Lame ) ... But really worth watching !
These shows are really good for a dose of reality ...

Oh those Swedes !!!! ............