Victorian native plants website

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Alpine. A very good reference site.

I looked up a few species and saw that they have included a lot of useful information.
The plants can be searched by name, characteristics (eg shrub with pink flowers) and “plantscape” (eg Type: Coastal Hinterland in Region = West Gippsland)

Very nice

I did a search for “bushmans bootlace”. Some of the data fields include:
- Common and scientific names
- Plant description and (some plants have) a photo
- Germination details
- Grazing (ie who eats it eg : sheep, rabbits, marsupials, goats, deer)
- Aboriginal Value : none for “bushmans bootlace”, which surprised me, actually I didn’t see any info in this field fro any plants I checked, but it may be populated for some species .

Alpine

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I found the same thing Aussie123, some plants have records for aboriginal use and others don't so its a bit hit and miss on that front, but it gives you a clear picture and description of the plant. Good for cross referencing if a bush tucker book doesn't have clear image of the plant.

Here's a plant I saw today, Austral Indigo (Indigo fera australis), and it has been recorded on the website as being used by the aborigines. I have been told its quite effective too.

Austral Indigo
Aboriginal Uses:

The roots were used to make a fish poison and a blue dye can be obtained from the flowers.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
That's an interesting one, I guess Australian Indigo should be a giveaway that there is something blue about it !

I know I have seen the plant about, I'll keep a lookout for it next time; blue is often a difficult colour to find in nature.

Any idea on how to extract the blue ? Boiling some flowers perhaps, or steeping in hot/cold water ?

Alpine

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Not too sure Aussie123, I'm guessing they were crushed with some water or perhaps some warm water to leach the dye