Victoria High Country Campgrounds and Huts

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I’m going down to the Vic high country on the weekend for two weeks. Taking my royal enfield Himalayan. Do any members familiar with that area have and good or pretty campsites they can recommend. I’ve got a full list and detailed maps but you never know until you get there. Quiet campsites preferred. Entering the high country via Tom Groggin. Few fires around at the moment too so I’ll do my best to dodge them.

Any in nice little camps in state Forrest a plus so I can do some crevicing/ gold panning. I prefer setting up for a few days and relaxing around camp rather than bashing on day after day. Taking my hammock, so don’t think trees will be an issue.

Thanks!

Last edited:

lever

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Hi Blake. I regularly visit the areas north of Tom Groggin if you were interested in some advice? Perhaps I can point you towards a campground that you can use prior to entering Victoria?

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Native Dog Flat is very close to Tom Groggin.

A lovely spot which is the start for (usually overnight) walks to Cowombat Flat and the headwaters of the Murray, Cairn #1, and a short stroll to the Rams Horn.
There is a creek behind the camp area, but I'm not sure about gold (there is gold in the region, just not sure about that creek).

You can do the headwaters as a long day walk, esp if you're fit !

https://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showthread.php?9710-Murray-River-Headwaters

How far into Vic are you wanting to go ?

- The Snowy River can be nice if its quite. There are a few sneaky spots if you keep a look out for them

- Dargo High Plains
- Around Walhalla is some excellent country and great camping along the rivers. Its gold country.
- Licola and the Howitt High Plains ? Lots of nice camps
- Buckland River (near Bright). Definitely gold there. The best camping is upstream, but the gold is downstream .... as I discovered after much effort and a chat to some locals.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hope the panning goes well.....did I mention what a top bloke you are?:risatonaD:

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Can't help on this occasion because all my usual haunts are affected by the current spate of late season fires. If you haven't already done so, I suggest you download the Vic Emergency app for both iOS and Android. It can be useful but naturally, you need to have phone coverage. Enjoy your visit.