Vic Bushcraft meet up?

bugman

Les Stroud
Reaction score
2-3 march sounds good to me.
greatbloke there is heaps of blackboys (xanthorrhea) so we will be able to practice out fire lighting methods. i havent been out there in a while but its only about a 20min drive from where i live i could go and see if i can find a suitable camp site?? i know most of the tracks through there are really only suitable for 4x4's that could be a potential problem. heaps of trees for hammock camping ect.
i can go and have a look at a few places and get some pics, post them up here and see what people think is most suitable??

bugman

Les Stroud
Reaction score
as for activities..
we could do a bushfoods walk and see what we can find, im familiar with quite a few plants within the ballarat region. im sure we can all help each other.
fire lighting methods. cover several?
water collection methods?
possible shelter building? ( usually heaps of suitable wood )

and also after a quick search on the net Camp Hunts Bridge Camping Area -Lal Lal State Forest is a camp site that has good access and is off a quiet dirt road. just not an awful lot of bush around it.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
2-3 march sounds good to me.
greatbloke there is heaps of blackboys (xanthorrhea) so we will be able to practice out fire lighting methods. i havent been out there in a while but its only about a 20min drive from where i live i could go and see if i can find a suitable camp site?? i know most of the tracks through there are really only suitable for 4x4's that could be a potential problem. heaps of trees for hammock camping ect.
i can go and have a look at a few places and get some pics, post them up here and see what people think is most suitable??
Bugman,
Some pics and a suggestion would be great.
Thanks

Folks,
I just saw lal lal in the thread and thought "good as any, lets get the ball rolling".
Nowhere will be perfect, but as long as "enough" people are available for a date and location, that's fine.

Its not set in stone or decided .... If you think somewhere else would be better or easier, call out, and whatever is loudest wins, any of the places suggested are fine by me !

North, South, East and West ... all OK for me, but I think there are a few people in greater Melbourne and a few in the Geelong / Ballarat sweep so somewhere not too far would be good.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Food>??
Sausage sizzle
Soup
Sandwiches
Steak and anything else starting with "S" LOL

I haven't yet been to the firewood collection area as I am trying to borrow a chain saw and get some lessons in safe use ( I never got a chance to do the course when I was with the CFA and I have never used or owned one ) but being able to collect firewood legally was one of the ideas I had when I made the suggestion. As far as I know there are some Xanthorrhoea in the area but Phitopthera may restrict the removal

bugman

Les Stroud
Reaction score
yeah that sounds great for food.
firewood collection should be no problem even if we dont camp right in a collection area we will never be more than a 10 min drive from one.
im trained in chainsaw usage (only basic) but i would be more than happy to show you how to use one correctly. should also be able to provide a chainsaw and the right PPE if i borrow it from work.
As for Phitopthera we can work with it. eg. collect and use the Xanthorrhea in the same area thus avoiding the spread of it, or collect it and once we have finished with it burn it on the fire. (i presume that will kill it)

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
2nd and 3rd of March 2013
Meet at the corner of Mystery Lane and the Elaine-Egerton Road
I'll try and get there early to do a recce on a campsite ( I am assuming I'm still not working )

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&sugexp=les;&pq=mystery+lane+lal+lal&cp=14&gs_id=nf&xhr=t&client=firefox-a&hs=FUh&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bpcl=35277026&biw=1280&bih=804&q=Mt+Doran+road++Lal+Lal&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x6ad153733433ffe9:0x753bd12704d82277,Mt+Doran+Rd,+Lal+Lal+VIC&gl=au&sa=X&ei=RDh-UJ6XEKSPiAen0ICYBQ&sqi=2&ved=0CB8Q8gEwAA

Assuming I am there I will organise a fire pit, a windshield for the cooking fire and the grate so I can cook some sort of soup.

I will take responsibility for sausages ( cheap Safeway type ) and bread and sauce ( Tomato, chillie and mustards ) if people don't mind a donation to cover cost.
Provisional numbers are not needed until the week before so plug the date into the diaries peeples

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
You did well on getting the ball rolling Aussie123... if we don't just dive in, we'll never get this organised.

Good stuff, the pics would be helpful Bugman.

* The bush tucker walk would be great.
* Fire starting practice sounds good.
* It would be good if we can find some resin and make glue for a small project.
* Snags in bread sounds good to me, Moondog. [I've been know to to go camping with nothing to eat except bread, snags, sauce and beer. Breakfast lunch and dinner, and I love it.]
* Many moons ago I was a leading hand over some laborers on a job that among other things required clearing and cutting firebreaks, so I can also help out with the chainsaw tips too, Moondog. :)

* I don't have a 4X4 but I'll give a rough track a go.
* I have no hammock -just a tent- so some flattish soft ground would be nice.
* Is there mobile reception? If so which companies?
* I can see problems all meeting up at the required time -someone not turning up or being late- if Mystery Lane and the Elaine-Egerton Road are too far from the campsite.. if so, would be good to meet at the actual camp if we can work that out before hand... or somewhere to leave directions. Remember some of us have to go through the city and the over two hours drive can unexpectedly extend if there's trouble on the freeway.... or we get lost :D. I have some cheap UHF handhelds if that's any help.

Looking forward to meeting you all and having a great time.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
* I can see problems all meeting up at the required time -someone not turning up or being late- if Mystery Lane and the Elaine-Egerton Road are too far from the campsite.. if so, would be good to meet at the actual camp if we can work that out before hand... or somewhere to leave directions. Remember some of us have to go through the city and the over two hours drive can unexpectedly extend if there's trouble on the freeway.... or we get lost :D.

I agree. I think the meeting point should be a camp site so folk can come (and go) as and when they please.

Sounds like Bugman and Moondog may be able to give as assessment of the areas, and perhaps some other folk too ?
March is a little way off, so there is plenty of time for people to make their own explorations of the area (if they like).

As I say, I haven't been there (that I recall); but I may try and drop in sometime before March 2013.

* It would be good if we can find some resin and make glue for a small project
Got anything specific in mind ?

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Actually I think the corner is much better as a REFERENCE location.
it can be found on Googlemaps for instance, so people can see how far it is to drive and best direction to approach from.
The actual area is quite large, talking to the feller at DPI it can however be pretty boggy after heavy rain ( aren't they all??) I seem to remember being there about 25 years ago
A grid reference to the actual campsite could be left there in a cairn or tin can ( I assume that some of us have GPS and can still read a map and use a compass) and if a campsite is pre-selected then pink safety-tape is easy to follow.

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
Nothing in particular Aussie123. Some glue sticks would be a good start if we do nothing else... Would be interesting to try and fletch an arrow with it... Making a stone or glass arrow head to fit might be too time consuming, unless someone is experienced at it. Another idea is to glue pairs of sticks end to end with different mixtures and test the different pairs with the same weight. Might be hard to collect that much resin though.

bugman

Les Stroud
Reaction score
alright, resigns should be available as xanthorrhea is common an produce lots of it usually.

as for access alot of the tracks even dirt roads to bush blocks in the area turn to crap after rain.. the lal lal area can be a bit swampy after rain although there is plenty of high areas. i know as i have been 4x4ing out there and have a friend in the area. I will make an excuse this weekend or next to go out and have a look for a campsite and get my car dirty.

Phone reception is limited to telstra and very minimal to none at all.

any other questions about the area ask away and i will see how well i can answer..

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually I think the corner is much better as a REFERENCE location.
it can be found on Googlemaps for instance, so people can see how far it is to drive and best direction to approach from.
The actual area is quite large, talking to the feller at DPI it can however be pretty boggy after heavy rain ( aren't they all??) I seem to remember being there about 25 years ago
A grid reference to the actual campsite could be left there in a cairn or tin can ( I assume that some of us have GPS and can still read a map and use a compass) and if a campsite is pre-selected then pink safety-tape is easy to follow.
Lest see what will work best.

We can easily create/customize a map which folk can print (if required), and we can give a waypoint location for those who prefer GPS.

GreatBloke - as bugman says, I would hope to be able to collect some resin locally, but I can bring a lump if necessary, some glass (arrow) points too if you like.

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
Sounds great Aussie.
Yes, Bugman I was thinking/hoping for the xanthorrhea resin in particular... Glad to hear that it's common.

We might have to have the Lerdrederg gorge option as a plan B if it's too boggy at Lal lal.

I also need to capture and take a photo of a live mammal for a bushcraft course which I think will be the hardest feat of the course.. so any help in that regard would be welcomed.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
This year I simply cannot handle the stress of a family X-mas get-together so I am taking my swag and checking out the Lal-Lal area, my beloved has my camera in NY so no pix will be available unfortunately but I can do some quick scouting around.
The cat will have to fend for itself for a few days, I will leave some extra dry cat food in scattered bowls so it can go "Hunting" and a trick I learned on the zoo program, leave one bowl of fresh food and freeze one and leave it close by

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Enjoy your trip MD. Frankly, I'm so over Christmas I haven't bothered putting a tree up this year and can't wait for it to be over. :)

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Well I just got back, I visited an area just off Chalkmine road that looks to be almost perfect, not part of the next firewood collection area.

I spent 32 hours bogged up to the axles and hung up on the diff. Not fun when you have no recovery gear with you.
Combination of poor driving ( too fast or too slow ) and poor ground clearance/wrong tyres.
Took me all that time to dig it down and fill the mudhole with quartz gravel from an old mine site near by
Google the Shepherds Daughters grave and you will see the area, to the West of Chalkmine Road and the National Park Historic Area 13.
It is time to buy the new tyres but I reckon I need a disposable winch too, anybody got one they want to donate to a bad cause??

bugman

Les Stroud
Reaction score
i have a feeling i know the area. sorry to hear you got hung up like that, its a bad feeling i have done it before and spent the night out in the bush.. but any excuse to spend more time out, i dont mind haha. do you think the area will be suitable? or is it going to be to boggy?

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
I think it would be perfect actually
Flat or reasonably so, water within a klick, close to a nominal all weather road and plenty of dead and fallen trees to play with and not boggy at that site

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m still keen for the meet.

Coincidentally I was wanting to kick off a new thread with some specific details in the next few days.

I’ve been having a google look at Lal Lal and trying to determine a good camp site to meet at.
I haven’t been able to get there for a visit.

Chalkmine Rd was mentioned as a possible location but I’m not sure specifically where; and
I spied Hunts Bridge which is a designated camping site.

Do you have any suggestions for a specific location ?