Vic Bushcraft meet up?

bugman

Les Stroud
Reaction score
i know there was talk of a meet up a few months ago but i don't think it happened. After reading threads of all the NSW and QLD meet ups it would be good to finally get something going down here?

i dont have any ideas of locatons or anything im just putting the idea out there.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I'm up for it, but not this year. The Christmas rush in the housing industry starts at the end of October and so I'd have no time.

Joe

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I'd be keen but pretty busy with work, Life and some hand surgery i need doing until the new year....

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I suggested the old volcanic crater at Mt Franklin but i am happy to travel anywhere, petrol money allowing
That's 2 hours from me, so its certainly doable. :) And as a bonus, its somewhere I've never been.

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
If we picked Mt Franklin we would need to bring our own firewood, I can get lots of free pallets for kindling and I have the stump of the old apple tree I could throw in the back of the ute.
I'd be using a swag but I could bring my old PaddyPallin japara tent or something similar. I could also bring big pots for the communal soup ( I am happy to do some of the catering; I need the practice)

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
If we picked Mt Franklin we would need to bring our own firewood,
I can bring a few larger logs, hardwood from my pistol club. Branches fall down regularly without any help from us. We just cut it up and use in on a bonfire during our mid year BBQ so I'm sure I can grab a few logs.

Would this be car camping as opposed to hiking? If it is, I've got a dome tent I can bring.

bugman

Les Stroud
Reaction score
the mt franklin crater is a great idea another place i would suggest to get us away from people is the mt franklin gorge, which is well hidden and only about 15 mins from the crater and puts us in a much more natural bush setting than the crater (as it is about 90% european trees ect..) and gives us plenty of room to move and make noise. the sight has a small seasonal creek going through it and a large open grassy patch suitable for about 20 people and has car access.

the gorge is state forest. so free to light fires and do what we want.
since new year suits everyone better may i suggest sometime in March? still 5 months away but time goes fast and if we set a date now say march 9,10,11 its a labour day weekend.
also if be go in march as apposed to jan,feb we are likley to not have fire bans.

As of course all of this is just suggestions.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
The Labour Day long weekend is out for me. I'll be in Shepparton competing in the State Titles (pistol shooting).

I'm also a little dubious about long weekends in general. It seems that's when most of the undesirables head for the bush :( which is damn annoying for the rest of us.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Ahh timing - the ol' bug bear of organisers everywhere.
Ok, my own thoughts are - not during the hotter months - obvious reasons plus people are usually too full of xmas pud' anyway (need at least a couple months to walk that off).
Public hol would be best though, as it's the time that most people are likely to have off.
We've also got to face the fact that we're not going to be able to cater to everyone. Doesn't matter what date we make it some will be able to make it & soime won't. Good excuse for holding more after tjhe first one.

So (without looking at exact dates) we have Australia Day in Januray, Labour Day in March, Easter in April, Anzac day (also April, Queens Birthday (June), Cup day in November.
Given that we'd like to get it up & running sooner rather than later I'd rule out cup day 2013.
Aust' day is still a bit hot (January 26th) so maybe not a great date.
Lab day is not bad (March 12th)
Easter is a great time, but also many people often have family committments.
Anzac day is not bad either (April 25th)
Queens birthday (12th June) is also a good time, but also in winter (camp fires definitely required ;-)

Personally my vote would be for either Easter, Anzac day, or Queens birthday, although Aust' Day & Labour day are both also do-able for me.

Then again, given that we don't have great distances to travel we could just organise a std week end?
Mid to late Autumn I reckon (April/May). Not too hot, not too cold.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
ANZAC day falls on a Thursday. Only the Thursday is a public holiday. To turn it into a four day weekend, a days annual leave would have to be taken. That I dare say, is something that many people will do just as they do on the Monday prior to Melbourne Cup Day. That makes ANZAC look the most promising from my perspective. :)

darren

Templar
Reaction score
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
Not living in Vic i'm happy to be told its none of my business but i will offer some tips learned from organising and being involved with the organisation of quite a few forum meets.
Two or three members who are happy to take some organising role should come up with a time and date via PM
Announce this date on the forum, some people will be able to make it , some wont. Hopefully there will be another one in the near future that others may be able to attend and to those that cant attend don’t stress about it.
Don’t try too hard on the content, just turn up and let it happen
Discuss a possible time and place for the next meet when you’re at this one to get the ball rolling.
Long weekends are quite often reserved for family so that may affect you attendance.
You will find they evolve and become self-generating sort of a thing.
Using a democratic process never normally works.
As I said, sorry if I’m butting in

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Not living in Vic i'm happy to be told its none of my business but i will offer some tips learned from organising and being involved with the organisation of quite a few forum meets.
Two or three members who are happy to take some organising role should come up with a time and date via PM
Announce this date on the forum, some people will be able to make it , some wont. Hopefully there will be another one in the near future that others may be able to attend and to those that cant attend don’t stress about it.
Don’t try too hard on the content, just turn up and let it happen
Discuss a possible time and place for the next meet when you’re at this one to get the ball rolling.
Long weekends are quite often reserved for family so that may affect you attendance.
You will find they evolve and become self-generating sort of a thing.
Using a democratic process never normally works.
As I said, sorry if I’m butting in

Good advice Darren.

Let me chip in 5c worth too:

Long weekends tend to be very busy at many accessible camping grounds, especially in good weather.

Although a long weekend is a good opportunity to spend quality time with like minded folk, you don’t want to end up with too much of a good thing !

It may be worth considering a regular weekend to get things started ?

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Shame you can't camp at the You Yangs any more.
Regular weekends need to be closer or start late Friday nite, long weekends can give more time to do stuff. Democracy not working? Heck who would have noticed?

Anything involving heavy lifting or long walks is out for me until I finish healing anyway so car based is a medical necessity for me in the short term.
I'm OK with some-one grabbing this ball and making a run for the goal posts.
It looks like half of us live to the West of Melbourne so a meet to the North-West should suit more of us.
Thanx Darren Good advice is never butting in.
Lal-Lal is a firewood collection area may I suggest that? We could use it as a dual purpose gathering as I need wood for next winter and I don't own a chainsaw
As my time is my own I am also happy to turn up early and make a start I have a trailer to shove gear onto I just need to get it back from my brother in Ballaaratt

bugman

Les Stroud
Reaction score
well again another good suggestion.. Lal lal is great. As people have stated they would like to meet up sooner than later. sometime in march would be ideal i think. standard weekends are fine for me (just need the notice to get the day off work) even if people wanted to meet up for a day some were and do a small walk one weekend i think would be good for a meet and greet.. most of us wouldnt need to travel to far.

Hell someone just set a time and date, i will be along so long as there is 2 weeks notice.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Here goes:

Dates:
How about the weekend 2 and 3 March 2013 ?

(If anyone wants to go down on Friday day/evening, and "reserve" the area that's fine)

I don't know lal lal, but I'm sure the "locals" can suggest an "exact" location.

Critieria:
Car accessible camping
Fires allowed
Relatively private

Preferable:
Fire wood collecting allowed
Creek / water access ?
Some walks available
Suitable trees for hammocks

Activities:
- I like the trading idea.
- Perhaps folk could give some thought to what they could bring, show or do; or what they would like to see ?
- I'm sure we all have bits and pieces we could bring regardless
- Food ?

FYI - Labour day is the following week (Monday 11 March 2013)

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
The original Lerderderg gorge suggestion was closer to Biggles and I, and perhaps you, Aussie, and Mt Franklin gorge sounds interesting if a bit further away, but Lal Lal and those dates will do me. Looking forward to seeing the area.

An old mate lived near Meredith, the property next to his was thick with black boys...are there any at Lal Lal, Moondog?

I'd like to get an exact location on Google maps if that's possible at this early stage.