Vibram Five Fingers

thejungleisneutral

Walkabout
Reaction score
I like them because they are quiet and ultralightweight.

It surprises me that Vibram has been knocked for making unproven claims. The rationale behind the claims sounds feasible to me but then again I didn't buy them to enhance my athletic prowess. I bought them so that the women in my life could continually remark on their ugliness :) Maybe I should stop wearing them with jeans? :(

Here's a couple of pics of my KSO TrekSport model out bush -

IMG_20140323_095202.jpg
IMG_20140323_105408.jpg

Pros of my particular model -

Very cool in hot weather
ultralightweight
Quick drying
4mm sole to cushion uneven or loose surfaces underfoot
Vibram "commando" style sole is great for general bush use
Very quiet for stalking

Cons:

Light construction is the tradeoff for light weight
Expensive in Australia
Sole pattern not as effective on wet river rocks, requiring more careful foot placement and loading than a pair of basic hiking boots
Low cut and mesh top makes it easier for dirt, sand, mud and debris to fall into the shoe and the "fingers" make it more complex to remove such debris
Grass, leaves and twigs often become caught between the toes, particularly during off-track bush bashes.

They are a good item to have in the toolbox for specific tasks such as wildlife photography, as kayak shoes and for water crossings on longer walks. I like them.

peter.robinson

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Yes, in their advertising they made some claims that don't really have any studies that support them with solid evidence (yet). It doesn't necessarily mean the claims are untrue, just not supported by any completed/documented studies. Other shoe and boot manufacturers make similar unsupported claims so they will probably be in the lawyer's sights next.

DavoAnth

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I started using them about 6 months ago as camp shoes, instead of my usual Teva sandals. They take a little getting used to, and I got an after market pair of outdoors 'fingers socks' for them as well. I haven't used them for any distance walking, but I have a mate who uses them for trail running and he swears by them, as do a couple of guys on his running group. He hasn't reported any shin, ankle or feet issues to date, so I guess they hold up ok.

Heckler

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I used to use them a lot, Hiked the corker trail with 15 kilos and have run a fairly decent half marathon time in them.
Pluses:
They are good for crossing water streams ie you can get them wet.
They don't need replacing very often
They are very comfortable
Lots of people ask you about them

Negatives
You have to get used to them slowly (its a whole different way to move over do it and you can injure yourself)
Rocks stick between your toes
They are ugly
Lots of people ask you about them