Vac Packing food.

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Vac Packing food for reduced space and waste and a longevity test.

[video=youtube;wT--hQaN_jg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT--hQaN_jg&list=UU70-RsRYxhMVX9Rd2s_EbNA[/video]

[video=youtube;0SQsinZU-fw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SQsinZU-fw&list=UU70-RsRYxhMVX9Rd2s_EbNA[/video]

Enjoy

Lifecraft

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips!
I need to get myself one of those vacuum sealers. Flat packs are easier to squeeze into a pack than a round tin....so it seems ideal for a trek.

I like that you showed the trial and error, and how you worked around the hurdles. Beats highly edited videos any day.

I get a bit nervous about heating plastics sometimes though (never know if I can trust what they're made of, or what they're leeching into my food), but if it's food grade plastic intended for being heated it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Would it be possible to pasteurize the sealed pack so it lasts longer and is safer?
There's a chance it could burst the seal, which I guess would need some experimentation to see whether it works. (If I get myself a vacuum sealer I think I'll try that.)

While gasses/expansion (ie. unwanted fermentation) and smell can be an indicator of whether it's safe, I don't believe they're 100% reliable ways of indicating it being safe.
I'm thinking pasteurizing it to kill the bacteria could increase the safety (even if still not 100%).

Last edited:

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
On the vac pack topic i make a little multi sauce vac sealed bag with strips of different sauces and spices. Helps tart up noodles and the like.

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
The conclusion to the test.
I think that with wet food try to pack it as close to your leave time as possible to maintain the freshness.

[video=youtube;_LGZflJ0mzk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LGZflJ0mzk&list=UU70-RsRYxhMVX9Rd2s_EbNA[/video]

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Fair to point out the just because a food "taste okay" it still my not be safe to eat..For what you are doing I use tuna in oil not spring water.Bacteria loves to breed in water as where oil is going to help you keep things fresh.You could also pre-freeze the bags that would give you a day longer when out in the bush.

Your going save a few grams by getting rid of the tins but but lose years off shelf life.I look at dehydrating then vac packing the meals then there going to be a shelf life of weeks not just days.

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Fair to point out the just because a food "taste okay" it still my not be safe to eat..For what you are doing I use tuna in oil not spring water.Bacteria loves to breed in water as where oil is going to help you keep things fresh.You could also pre-freeze the bags that would give you a day longer when out in the bush.

Your going save a few grams by getting rid of the tins but but lose years off shelf life.I look at dehydrating then vac packing the meals then there going to be a shelf life of weeks not just days.

I used the spring water tuna for this experiment as it was control test and found out, as shown in the film, that it was sucked out quite easy but oil is thicker and harder to suck ;-).
I know what you mean mate when it comes to the shelf life. I am in the process of editing a film about dehydrating veggies with a soup base to take in the field and also looking more at the FBC cooking these are to follow. with the dry food the vac packing is more to reduce the size of the bags than to preserve the food so you can carry more but the con to this is that you need loads of water to rehydrate so should have a good source to replen your bottles.
I did read about dehyrateing tuna and I will be triying this at a later date.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I used the spring water tuna for this experiment as it was control test and found out, as shown in the film, that it was sucked out quite easy but oil is thicker and harder to suck ;-).
I know what you mean mate when it comes to the shelf life. I am in the process of editing a film about dehydrating veggies with a soup base to take in the field and also looking more at the FBC cooking these are to follow. with the dry food the vac packing is more to reduce the size of the bags than to preserve the food so you can carry more but the con to this is that you need loads of water to rehydrate so should have a good source to replen your bottles.
I did read about dehyrateing tuna and I will be triying this at a later date.
Good video and experiment but I think you a bit limited with that method,but has its place for sure..I saw with the Australia army ration pack they use tins as well as dehydrate gear.For them this must be because of the issue of water to always being available in the bush..?

You my find this one interesting..

[video=youtube;Cv--URXNHz4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv--URXNHz4&list=UUt7OjVJJVMvgbD-05LAUeSg[/video]