Using Bracken fern to treat a Bull ant bite

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Last night for the first time in many, many years, I was bitten by a Bull ant whilst out geocaching in the Dandenong Ranges (Victoria, Australia). I didn't have a first aid kit with me. :( "It was only a geocaching run, not a full on hike" hmmm no excuse and lesson learnt. Without my FAK, I didn't have access to a tube of Stingose®. Bracken ferns were quite numerous so I ripped a smallish one out of the ground and broke open the stem near the base and wiped the sap over the site of the bite. Within a minute the pain began to subside. I applied a bit more sap from further up the stem and the pain continued to diminish until after around 10 minutes, I could barely feel it.
I was surprised to learn that my geocaching partner had never heard of using Bracken for this purpose.
I've searched the forum and couldn't find any reference to using Bracken for first aid so I thought I'd post this in case others might find it useful.

Cheers,

b.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
For validity, you now need to repeat without bracken and compare:malefico:

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I had a kid staying at our camp get a bullant sting recently. Lacking a first aid kit, I suggested this same remedy having been told it by a local Elder. The stem seemed very dry with little sap but the young bloke tried it all the same. He didn't seem to think it had much effect. I will have to try it again, I think. I just need to wait for another client to get bitten.... lol.
Might put myself on the line for medical science here.Jeez, the things I do....
I guess the trick would be to compare it against another that is not treated to see if there is a noticeable difference in easing the pain.
Cheers
Bloffy

Saille

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Used this one A LOT as a kid. I have since learned that avoidance is better than cure.
As Bloffy mentioned, the stems are too dry to be effective. We pulled up the bracken and twisted the root apart, then rubbed the sap onto the bite.

ozbladefan

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I have not heard of using the stem, as a kid we would use the leaves. Squash them up and rub on the area in question, always worked for us.