Invertebrate Unknown Spider (DANGEROUS ??)...Mt. Cathedral-Taggerty Vic.

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I have seen these before, and assumed that they were under fed huntsmen. They are very flat - awesome looking spiders. I imagine like the huntsmen or wolf spider that they aren't necessarily poisonous, but have bacteria that causes infection. Lying flat like that is one of the identifiers for huntsman spiders. It's unusual that you've found it in Victoria! I'm guessing hemicloea? Also found this, which looks interesting, because of it's name; flat rock spider. All the ingredients of your pictures. You may have found an unknown colony?

Askew

Ray Mears
Reaction score
It's kind of tempting to say poke it with your finger and see what happens. Technically wolf spiders are venomous, the bite being rather painful but having no other adverse effects. I can vouch for that from personal experience.

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
It's kind of tempting to say poke it with your finger and see what happens. Technically wolf spiders are venomous, the bite being rather painful but having no other adverse effects. I can vouch for that from personal experience.
Supposedly huntsman are poisonous too. Apparently they only use their poison for prey, not defense. They are generally pretty chilled characters - I had the same one in my bedroom as a kid for years.