Unknown Scat

Arcarni

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Scat is from a rainforest area in the Main Range NP and contains a whole small bird.cam13 020.jpgcam13 021.jpgcam13 022.jpgcam13 023.jpg

Arcarni

Russell Coight
Reaction score
No not had any rain for days and it seemed quite fresh

Wildfire

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Judging by the volume and consistency im going with Bunyip Scat for sure! looks like he had a curry the night before. :)

Arcarni

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Bird curry na I don't think it was Bunyip it was a far way from water

Arcarni

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I thought maybe it was a python but someone at another group pointed out there was no urinate then someone suggested goanna.

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
It might be goanna vomit. I have seen goannas throw up food on a few occasions. Sometimes on cold days they cannot properly digest the meal and throw it up before it starts rotting. Other times, even on hot days, I have seen goannas throw up when being mobbed by small birds. Might be too stressful for them. The bones seem largely intact, indicating that it wasn't chewed much, and that it hadn't spent much time in a stomach. Most animals digestive processes will strip the calcium from bones pretty quick, leaving collagen protein which can be digested too.

Arcarni

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I think that's a very good possibility as the bird was still recognizable as a bird with most of the bones being in the right place thank you

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
It might be goanna vomit. I have seen goannas throw up food on a few occasions. Sometimes on cold days they cannot properly digest the meal and throw it up before it starts rotting. Other times, even on hot days, I have seen goannas throw up when being mobbed by small birds. Might be too stressful for them. The bones seem largely intact, indicating that it wasn't chewed much, and that it hadn't spent much time in a stomach. Most animals digestive processes will strip the calcium from bones pretty quick, leaving collagen protein which can be digested too.
That’s a really good observation. The bones being intact does suggest it wasn’t in the stomach for long; and there are only two ways out !

To me it does “look” quite fecal (poo) and Arcarni says it looked fresh, so it could be diarrhoea.

I think a cat would not have swallowed a bird whole. I guess a snake or goanna could have swallowed a bird, I don’t know too much about them !

I think it could be a “dog” (ie a dog, fox or dingo).
If a dog had vomited it, they would probably have re-eaten it (?), so I’ll suggest dog diarrhoea. That's my poo cents worth.

Its probably a bit late now, but were there any foot prints or other traces near the scat which may indicate which creature ?

Arcarni

Russell Coight
Reaction score
cam13 015.jpgcam13 016.jpgcam13 017.jpg I found claw marks on a tree about 25 meters from the scat/vomit apart from that there were no other tracks or traces that I could see I had a trail cam up in the area for 3 weeks and it only took 10 photos 9 of nothing and one of a bird a yellow robin I think.

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
Maybe a goanna. Sometimes when descending they'll do a controlled skid, using claws to steady the decent.

Jeepcreep

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Around my neck of the woods,a smell and a taste is the best way to identify unknown scat :risatonaD: