Unknown Goanna

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Afraid this is a poor photo taken with a pocket camera through the window of my car. Shortly afterwards the goanna disappeared around the other side of the tree out of view and the fence stopped me from getting closer.

A handsome creature with distinctive coloured bands which I have not seen before.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Are you on The East coast of Australia? A juvenile Bell's lace monitor? I think juvenile lace monitors can look like this too; I never knew enough to tell the difference.

Last edited:

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
On the east coast, the goanna is in the UpperTuron River valley on a high ridge overlooking the river. Have been back there a couple of times with a better camera at the ready but no more sightings.

Live in hope I will see it again and get a closer shot. Its a fast moving creature for sure.

Thanks for your interest.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Afraid this is a poor photo taken with a pocket camera through the window of my car. Shortly afterwards the goanna disappeared around the other side of the tree out of view and the fence stopped me from getting closer.

A handsome creature with distinctive coloured bands which I have not seen before.

View attachment 26078

I don't know the types/ species. I only know the Perentie is the biggest & is related to the monitor lizard of the South Pacific Islands. I don't even know if the one I took a shot of was a perentie, but I dont think so. Perentie's seem to have spotted camouflage for deserts/arid lands, whereas mine had stripes(semi-arid land) & yours appears to have blotches for more fertile land. Lizards often go behind the tree to hide. Good work getting a shot before he did(y)

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Just had another look at your photos which are excellent, only the end of the tail of the one you photographed is like the one I saw.

Mine has bigger more distinctive bands on it, and think it may be what Randall has remarked. A juvenile Bells Lace Monitor.

Looked up the database on this site (reptiles) and Varanus Varius seems to be the closest. Sorry don't know how to put up a link.

They are beautiful creatures although a bit fearsome.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Just had another look at your photos which are excellent, only the end of the tail of the one you photographed is like the one I saw.

Mine has bigger more distinctive bands on it, and think it may be what Randall has remarked. A juvenile Bells Lace Monitor.

Looked up the database on this site (reptiles) and Varanus Varius seems to be the closest. Sorry don't know how to put up a link.

They are beautiful creatures although a bit fearsome.

Great. I heard they don't normally bite people unless you grab one, but they have been known to run up people thinking they are trees, or jump on people to make it to the ground. Worse still one bite from one of these is a death sentence = incurable infection. Even though I was careful, knowing what I know now & after a recent hospital admittance for a serious skin infection where I nearly lost my leg, I would never have got that close to mine.

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Certainly have to be careful and yes have heard of them running up a persons body when surprised and frightened.

Just found a reptile site and there it is. See the second pair of photos, the one on the left.

Think the one Edward photo'd is in that batch of photo's as well.

Thanks for everybody's interest.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Certainly have to be careful and yes have heard of them running up a persons body when surprised and frightened.

Just found a reptile site and there it is. See the second pair of photos, the one on the left.

Think the one Edward photo'd is in that batch of photo's as well.

Cool I like the map. The one I saw was huge! I estimate just the body was over 1 meter long!

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
The photos substantiate that, a big lizard for sure. Have read of others even larger, yes the map is a good one. Have bookmarked that site which has a lot of good info and pictures for future reference.

Next time I see the farmer on that property I can tell him what goanna it is which will please him as he is interested in these things.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
On the east coast, the goanna is in the UpperTuron River valley on a high ridge overlooking the river. Have been back there a couple of times with a better camera at the ready but no more sightings.

Live in hope I will see it again and get a closer shot. Its a fast moving creature for sure.

Thanks for your interest.
He'll be slowing down soon :), although he'll be pretty well under cover by then. And let's hope cane toads don't make it there.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
The photos substantiate that, a big lizard for sure. Have read of others even larger, yes the map is a good one. Have bookmarked that site which has a lot of good info and pictures for future reference.

Next time I see the farmer on that property I can tell him what goanna it is which will please him as he is interested in these things.

Nice to know, 'Chigger'. OK well, how about extending the same courtesy I have to you by actually responding the Goanna I saw & posted, as I have done to you, instead of PMing me, creating another thread on goannas & telling me here?

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Yes, Bells form Lace monitor. We have both this one and normal forms in the South Burnett.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
where i go kayak / camping on a reg basis in Kangaroo Valley NSW, the old monitors are huge, other people on the river feed them, its so wrong as they head for your camp looking for hand outs or thrown down carp :(

the one in my photos would be 6ft long

I have heard a story of resent that the monitor will hunt down snakes as well,
if you have one in camp that could be a good thing, any of you heard this to be true?

Attachments

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
That is a mighty goanna and it certainly looks it is 6 ft long. Hate to say would be a bit nervous having one that size about the camp even if they do catch snakes.

Sorry do not know if goannas catch snakes or not so cannot offer any information. Although it would not surprise me as goannas can be very quick moving creatures.

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Remember that poem from years ago, good to hear it again.

Thanks for putting it up.