BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unidentified scat

Lou

Russell Coight
Reaction score
1.5cm across, one of about 20 directly on the trail in the West MacDonald Ranges. April 2022

Attachments

• 20220419_132025.jpg
    20220419_132025.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 3

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
looks like it has a white uric acid section to it and its grain looking.....and you said about 20.
I will take a guess and say maybe a variety of duck.

Lou

Russell Coight
Reaction score
looks like it has a white uric acid section to it and its grain looking.....and you said about 20.
I will take a guess and say maybe a variety of duck.
Thanks for that. Yours is the only reply so far, but I will follow up on this lead. We saw lots of spinifex pidgeon

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Yours is the only reply so far, but I will follow up on this lead. We saw lots of spinifex pidgeon
I was going to say a spinifex pigeon but then you mentioned that there were up to 20 deposits,
so went with ducks..... If you spotted many pigeons that could be culprit!

Pigeon dropping...

32195267129454.jpg

Lou

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Thanks very much. Quite an amazing scat really. bTW, do you know why doves and pigeons make such a unique audible flapping sound when they are not gliding?

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks very much. Quite an amazing scat really. bTW, do you know why doves and pigeons make such a unique audible flapping sound when they are not gliding?
never Really though about it, must be a reason, maybe a scare tactic for predator.

Yamaotoko

Les Stroud
Reaction score
My Dad used to tell me the ‘squeak’ from Top-Knot pidgeons was because they need oiling 🤣

…my brother and I called them ‘oily pidgeons’

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
They have some flight feathers that act as an alarm when they take off.