uneekwahn's annual birthday Mt Mambup camp out

uneekwahn

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
So last year, instead of having a ginormous celebration for my 40th birthday, I went the low key approach and camped at Perth's favourite secret camping / bushcraft location.

I did the same this year! Thrud and bunyipbait were able to join in and it turned out to be a bloody great time.

Thrud and I decided to ensure we had enough energy and stopped off at a local brewery for some food and cleansing ale before heading out to Mambup.

We were about 30 minutes in to the 45 minute hike up when bunyipbait called to let us know he was just starting his ascent so Thrud and I decided to wait for him and continue on to our campsite together.

Bunyipbait's camp.

Thrud's camp.

My camp.

I bought up a rather heavy camp oven to treat the boys to a delicious beef and beer stew the first night.

We took our delicious food and some adult beverages to the world famous sunset rock and watched the sun go down. Very romantic.

The rest of the first night was spent relaxing, talking bullshit and more relaxing.

Saturday morning we talk a walk to a small seasonal waterfall bunyipbait and I found out that way a few weeks earlier.

More relaxing and bullshit talking most of Saturday until bunyipbait had to leave, so Thrud and I, being the thinkers we are, went with him and grabbed more beer and food from the Engel I'd so thoughtfully put in my car before the trip!

Saturday night dinner.

Thrud.

Me and my Woobie hoodie and camouflage vegemite toast.

My new monstrous pack.

Random other photos.

All in a marvellous trip!

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks Uneekwahn for the report. It was a lot of fun. Apart from the beer we did actually do some bushcrafting: cordage, bush chairs, signal mirror, fire bow with starter cord(thanks Hairyman for that tip). Uneekwahn discovered another camp very close to where we were staying. Bunyipbait had a very slick set up and it was good to chat about kit which he has used for 15k of hiking! A lot of his kit was Hill People Gear. I've had their Tarahumara pack for a while and it is a very solid piece of kit.

Uneekwahn's new pack is a beast and must have weighed well over 30kg on the way up. I was carrying a 25 year old Berghaus pack which probably weighed in at around the 18kg mark. On the way up my peak heart rate was 169 and I take beta blockers, so dread to think what Uneekwahn's heart rate was! Although, as he kept pointing out he is much much younger than me.

Cheers and Happy Birthday!

I'll try and grow a beard to fit in for next year. Have to start soon.

Last edited:

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
looked like a great time was had. happy birthday by the way!
lucky you guys had those beers to keep your heart rates in check. sweet pics and great location. thanks for sharing!

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Happy Birthday and nice photos, like the simplistic camp setups. Slowly starting to get warmer here as winter comes to an end so will think about a few camping trips as well.

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Looks like a nice trip, I do really like that spot. It is definitely warming up as I saw a couple of black faced cuckoo shrikes today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Uneekwan. Happy birthday, you old bastard.....
Keep me in the loop about trips guys. My circumstances have changed a bit so keen to catch up more often. Must have lost my invite in the mail......
Looking forward to getting back into the bush a bit more, on my own terms.
Cheers
Bloffy