Ultra-Ever Dry! amazing stuff

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Ultra-Ever Dry

how about this stuff for treating tarps n flys, ground mats, tents, back packs, boots etc :_o:

Ultra-Ever Dry is a superhydrophobic (water) and oleophobic (hydrocarbons) coating that will completely repel almost any liquid. Ultra-Ever Dry uses proprietary nanotechnology to coat an object and create a barrier of air on its surface. This barrier repels water, oil and other liquids unlike any coating seen before. The other breakthrough associated with Ultra-Ever Dry is the superior coating adherence and abrasion resistance allowing it to be used in all kinds of applications where durability is required.

[video=youtube_share;IPM8OR6W6WE]http://youtu.be/IPM8OR6W6WE[/video]

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Excellent product that is.
I wonder when would it be available in Australia and how much would it cost.

No more need to clean the shoes, packs and gears :_applauso: ohh yeah!!

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
WOW! incredible. Looks like it discolored the boots at the end there. Not that I care if it work as good as it looks!

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I wonder how breathable it is?
Whether it has any adverse effects on people if you had clothes treated with the stuff and how durable it is? Ie would it last or does it need recoating every few washes. They did say it was prone to scuffing etc.
That said, how do you wash something that doesn't allow water to soak in.
Here's an interesting thought. If I coated my kayak with that, would it be like paddling on a thin layer of air? THAT would be cool to try out.
I wonder if, once it's cured whether it has any smell

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
@ Templar: Cheers mate. Interesting reading.
Looks like it could be used on clothing for waterproofing and still allow breathability but would wear off after a couple of washes. Maybe for something like a hat or an outer coat it would be ok.
It could be used on my kayak but how practical it would be is questionable and I'm afraid I'm not going to chance it.
Looks like I was wrong about the abrasive resistance.
Sounds like once it is cured there is no smell but it did say it breaks down with human oils etc.
It sells for roughly $70/1.4l which is not too bad when a litre covers about 42square feet.
I'm not going to follow it up now but it is something I'm gunna keep an eye on.
Thanks all for your info.
Cheers
Bloffy

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like a handy product!
Patagonia has come out with something similar on their down gear. Waterproof down. No joke.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like it could be used on clothing for waterproofing and still allow breathability but would wear off after a couple of washes. Maybe for something like a hat or an outer coat it would be ok.
It sells for roughly $70/1.4l which is not too bad when a litre covers about 42square feet.
I noticed that they do mention hats and boots, but don’t seem to mention “clothes” or tarps etc and I do wonder why. Perhaps it makes the material a bit stiff ?

I also note they mention (in some of the pdfs) that it is not approved for use with food handling machinery (etc), items in contact with food.

Not sure about the cost either. It’s a two coat product : bottom coat (US?) $53, top $96 for 1 quart (cheaper for larger volumes). About $150 for 1 quart, plus a spray applicator. (Good luck trying to wash that after use :_lol:)

As a generalization :
There have been issues with "nano-particle" use on and in human bodies, some particles can get in, but not out ! They seem to suggest that their product has low toxicity, but (being sceptical), there may be reasons its not recommended for items with a lot of skin contact, or in contact with food ?
I may have completely misread the situation, but I’d like to better understand the safety of a product like this before using it on clothing. Something, if it seems too good to be true ….

(I’m no expert - No affiliations)

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a bit more info for you, my other half Mike is bit of a techno nut with stuff like this, just told me that this tech started from the repellency of the Lotus..it's called the Lotus Effect.

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_effect

Think the application for boots would be great but I'd be hesitant for any material close to skin...like all new techs like this ill wait and watch, it's only reasonable new, give it a few years and see how it develops or doesn't ...I think some of this so called "nano technology" is great but I'm very suss about its longevity in the environment....like Aussie I'm no expert ....some new tech looks good but after all going all Natural is what we are really all about after all....just thought this be an interesting topic for discussion.

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Looks good. But Ill stick with Nik wax till the price drops and it gets better for tarps and bergans etc.

thunderbird

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Interesting technology. It is amazing what is possible these days. Reading the MSDS is interesting too, especially #12 - Ecological Information: "...This material is not expected to be toxic to aquatic life...."

Hopefully there aren't any unexpected expectations!