Tricked Out Tracking Stick

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
G'day all,
During the recent Western Australia chapter meeting at Boyup Brook, Thrud most generously gave of his time to show us how to do basic tracking.
In addition, he gave each of us a basic tracking stick, which consisted of a broomstick with a cord hand strap and three O rings.
Talk that night, while the rum was being passed around (ooops, edit that bit) was how we would pimp our sticks.
We talked about various options but once I got home, the stick went into the back room and, until last weekend when it turned a little wet and woolly in sunny Albany, I didn't get back to it.
With a little rising damp, I went down to the shed with my stick and started playing around.
So here goes with my "Sunday folly".
Firstly, here is the stick in its entirety. It's about 145cm long, from tip to tip.

20190318_214916.jpg

The handle has a copper cap with a thread mount for my Go Pro. Underneath, there is about six metres of cordage done in a simple weave, with a Turks Head knot at each end. It's not paracord and this was first time I tied the Turk but I was happy with the result.

20190318_214930.jpg

Below the cord work, I have a section of pipe insulation but I will probably change this out, possibly for a leather grip.

20190318_214939.jpg

Below the hand grip, there is a metre long measuring stick, marked at every centimetre, each 10 centimetre has a wider mark and a full circle at 50 centimetres. At 1 metre, there is a decorative double circle. In one 10 centimtre section, I have marked each half centimetre and there is two centimetres where each millimetre is marked.
At the back of the metre mark, I have mounted a set of pace beads.

20190318_214949.jpg

At the end of the stave is a heavy duty tent peg mounted through another copper cap. For mainly decorative purposes, I finished the tent peg in heat shrink.
The hook has a number of uses, from allowing me to reach such things as fruit higher in a tree, to helping me to pull up a slope by hooking onto a small tree, or general use around camp, such as a fire poker, billy lifter or as a tent pole.
Baden Powell, founder of the Scouting movement recommended each Scout have their own stave and also that it should have a means for it to be carried. To this end, I have a triple length of leather cord finished with two barrel knots which allow it to be tightened or loosened as needed.
I put a closed eye hook at the foot to feed the strap through, fed the top though the pace beads which are looped through a hole in the stave. A single open eye hook is at the 50cm mark.
Of course, the stave still has the ability to be used as a tracking pole with the three O rings.
So that's pretty much it at the moment.
It took me about half a day of mucking around to get it this far.
I have a few more ideas in mind but might keep it Mum at the moment. Don't want to give MDU or Thrud too many ideas.....
Cheers
Bloffy

Last edited:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Ingenious Bloffy!

Is the hook detachable?

Last edited:

Chigger

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Very nicely made and a useful implement. Has given me a few ideas for the walking sticks I have so thanks for putting this up.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
@ Thrud. I hope the hook isn't detachable. That could get embarrassing if I am pulling myself up a slope. Lol.
@ Chigger. (And everyone else) The challenge is afoot. Get creative. Let's see what you've got..
Cheers
Bloffy

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Thanks HD. Come on guys. Let's see how creative you can get. Have a bit of fun and innovative. It might be the thing that differentiates us from other bushcrafters like the Poms or yanks. Lol.
Cheers
Bloffy

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Started pumping my stick today, although I ended up using a different stick (one of kids stole the one Thrud gave).
I ended up with a nice long grass tree flower stalk about 20mm diameter and almost 180cm. I cut it a little shorter to remove any damaged bits, I used it like this for a while to make sure it was strong enough. Now a few months later I have started pimping it, first up is some ferrules for the end to prevent splitting. Originally I was going to use some nice copper or brass ferrules but they are heavy and I would have to buy them. I had some carbon fibre tube at home that just happened to be the right size. I trimmed the end down slowly using my SBT and kept test fitting the ferrules as I went ( much like fitting an axe handle). Eventually they fit nice and snuggly so I glued them on with araldite.

Next up will be some leather adornments!

Last edited:

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Yay. The journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step.
About time someone took up the challenge!
I've added (in pencil at least at the moment) morse code, Viking runes and the alphabetical match. So that's Morse, Norse and letters, of course....
One day I'll burn them in.
Get cracking the rest of you. Waste some time, have some fun.
Cheers
Bloffy

Chelv

Russell Coight
Reaction score
They are a great idea. Originally I thought the tent peg in Bloffy's was a snake hook. We get a few Brownies around my way so I might steal that idea when I make my pole