Trick my Tracking Stick

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
G'day all,
During the recent Western Australia chapter meeting at Boyup Brook, Thrud most generously gave of his time to show us how to do basic tracking.
In addition, he gave each of us a basic tracking stick, which consisted of a broomstick with a cord hand strap and three O rings.
Talk that night, while the rum was being passed around (ooops, edit that bit) was how we would pimp our sticks.
We talked about various options but once I got home, the stick went into the back room and, until last weekend when it turned a little wet and woolly in sunny Albany, I didn't get back to it.
With a little rising damp, I went down to the shed with my stick and started playing around.
So here goes with my "Sunday folly".
Firstly, here is the stick in its entirety. It's about 145cm long, from tip to tip.

20190318_214914.jpg

The handle has a copper cap with a thread mount for my Go Pro. Underneath, there is a out six metres of cordagedone in a simple weave, with a Turks Head knot at each end. It's not paracord and this was first time I tied the Turk but I was happy with the result.
20190318_214939.jpg
20190318_214930.jpg

Attachments

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I had a piece of hooked wire at the end of mine , but I found it tended to catch up on the longer grasses and other stuff . looks like you enjoyed making yous .

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Thanks Barra. It filled in a wet day and I have had a few good comments about it.
I thought about it catching on stuff but figure the "open" end faces backwards when it is in hand so shouldn't be too bad.
I've been away so haven't had a chance to use it in anger yet so time will tell.
Cheers
Bloffy

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I'm getting good use from mine, and I've been inspired by Bloffy!

So, here it is, my pimp job ...

... works a treat! ;)

Last edited:

barefoot dave

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
It's a rubber chair leg for to minimise wear when using the cutting stock as a walking stick ( sacrilege!).

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Ah, you had me there. I thought that was some tricky tracking tech. But the rubber stopper is a step in the right direction. You know what they say, the journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step.....
Cheers
Bloffy

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Ah, you had me there. I thought that was some tricky tracking tech. But the rubber stopper is a step in the right direction. You know what they say, the journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step.....
Cheers
Bloffy
And the journey of a thousand sperm can be stopped by a single rubber.

[boom ... tish] No idea why I wrote that. Perhaps one too many reds by the fire? Cheers! 🤪