Mammal Trichosurus vulpecula (Common Brushtail Possum)

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Scientific Name: Trichosurus vulpecula

Common Name: Common Brushtail Possum

Class: Mammalia

Family: Phalangeridae

Other Names: Brushtail Possum, Silver-grey Possum

Distribution: Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania, Western Australia and Northern Territory.

Habitat: Urban areas, forests and woodlands, heath. Prefer hollows in large eucalypts for daytime dens, although in cities can rest in roof cavities or other man made structures.

Field Notes: A large possum with bushy tail and pointed ears. Grey with a black band across the snout, they have a white to brownish-yellow belly. It is nocturnal . Size: body 35-55 cm, tail 25-40 cm.

Photo by auscraft 2012, My yard Qld

View attachment 4245View attachment 4246
Found in shed nursing young

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
This footbridge at Wilson's prom is a bottle neck for animals wishing to cross the river.
We ran into these possums who tried to avoid us by climbing off the bridge, but they didn't like the water either.
The funny thing is, I had two girls hiding behind me who were just as scared of them as they were of us. :)

P1090504.jpg

P1090503.jpg

P1090506.jpg

P1090506crop.jpg

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Heard somewhere that there is supposed to be more brushtail possums
in Melbourne than people! Urban myth or what?

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
I had one living in my roof a while back. I'm thinking that the much nicer ring tails are more common here, than the Brushtail which is a pest. ...but that's only an anecdotal observation. More than people? In some suburbs maybe.

On a side note
There was a Chinese food shop acclaimed to have the best dim sims in Melbourne... Until they were closed down for using possum meat.

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
I rate possum as better than rabbit as a food. Nice and moist and there is a lot of meat on them.
I lived on an Aboriginal community for many years and have been given it many times.
Baked or boiled till soft after being skinned is best.
Baked or boiled till soft after being singed is an acquired taste but you can get used to it.
Singed then cooked in the ground in gum leaves was absolutely vile and could probably cure a cold.

It may have been ring tails that are supposed to be in big numbers in Melbourne.

Coda

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
I live in an area with both (but I'm not sure which species has the hob nailed boots that runs over my roof every night). At a guess in my street there would a population of around 30. They also like partying in your lounge room when they go, gee wonder what lives down that chimney (and then get very indignant when you don the thick gloves to give them a helping hand to the great outdoors). Oh they also like strawberries as I found out early one morning as I watched one finnish eating what was on my two plants, he/she carefully watched me while my strawberries very quickly disappeared.

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Some T.vulpecula skulls and mandibles.
Some evidence as to mode of death on one specimen.
DSCF0393 (640x465).jpg
DSCF0395 (640x606).jpg
DSCF0396 (640x467).jpg

Dusty

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Great pics Auscraft and Greatbloke. Love the skulls Hairy. We must go up to the shed tomorrow and see how the possums are doing. Hear some really loud scratching on our ceiling from time to time. No other sounds. If not a possum then it must be a bloody big rat.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
View attachment 7777View attachment 7778
One of the few animals that hung around camp at Jimna not at all worried by our presents. Not sure which possum tried to get into our tent while sleeping thru the vents but would hazzard a guess it was the male trying to avoid this female.

Timmy

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have seen a Ring Tail with baby and two Brush Tails in the same tree at the same time here in Brisbane. There was a fresh Brush tail on the road 3 nights ago, it would have made a nice skin.