Invertebrate Triboniophorus graeffei (Red Triangle Slug)

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Scientific Name: Triboniophorus graeffei

Common Names: Red Triangle Slug

Class: Gastropoda

Superfamily: Athoracophoroidea

Family: Athoracophoridae

Genus: Triboniophorus

Species: graeffei

Distribution: East Coast NSW to QLD

Habitat: Red triangle slugs are found in damp situations in various habitats, including city gardens, forests, woodland and heaths.[2]

Field Notes: A large white slug with a distinctive red triangle on its back, colours vary to a dirty dark grey to almost pure white. They eat algae and they leave a distinctive squiggly pattern on rocks and trees where they have been feeding. Until I saw my first pure white red triangle slug I did not think there was anything beautiful about slugs. One wet day my opinion changed as these stunning creatures seamed to be everywhere I looked... anyhow, no camera that day, so you will have to content yourselves with this dirty one... google them you will be amazed if you never knew about them...

Last edited:

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow Aussieprepper, great specimens and great pictures!

peter.robinson

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
A slug I saw this morning. It was round in cross section, never seen one like this before, only ever seen the more flattened ones with the red edging, it looks similar to AP's second photo above.
The Qld Museum site says the size range is 7cm which is about what I've seen before, the flatter ones. This example would have been about 17 to 18cm long
IMGP1976a.jpg

Attachments