Trapping.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
This will be an ongoing thread if interest is shown in it.
I thought I would show how I go about setting traps, this is done to protect livestock and also it is the law. I use only equipment and methods allowed by the States Legislation. I have Traps all the time just in case of a chance catch , however when feral dog, fox or cat activity is present I run full lines to remove the threats immediately.

As time allows me to post I will add posts showing my methods and tap selections for target animals and locations, I will only show methods that a legal for most States so no misinterpretations can be made. Also I advise each member to do their on investigations on legalities and laws as it applies to them and their State.

The reason I am running a line at present. As stated in the Homesteading section I have had livestock killed and cattle driven threw fences.
View attachment 17705View attachment 17706
These are just a few signs without getting graphic.
Next I search for tracks and signs of the movements of the predator , the kill sights and livestock activities point to the predator in question. I use my own tracking abilities to trace the animal and also use a trapping dog as a scent finder. A female dog is very handy for this activity and less likely to go overboard and stray like a male. There a certain qualities you want in a good trap dog two are obedient and the next to stay on scent (not chasing rabbits unless that is what you are trapping). It is vital to observe your dog to watch her actions and movements, especially on windy days as the dog may travel back and forth tracking scents.
View attachment 17707View attachment 17708View attachment 17709View attachment 17710View attachment 17711
The photos show different responses of the Kelly(dog) to scents found these range from head high sniffing to scent leaving, scratching and pooing. Each of these actions tell me things relevant to my trap sets that I may wish to set. Things that where found by Kelly not that they were strange or unique on there own but due to placement makes them interesting telling me a bit more about what I am chasing.
View attachment 17714View attachment 17712
View attachment 17713 The first two pics shows the placement of a Guinea fowl killed at my place and taken 2 kms away it also shows my trap placed can you see it? The second pic is just a tuft of grass less than 10m from the dead bird which was next to fencing and gateway, can you tell anything from these signs?

If there is interest shown I will continue showing some trap sets and other sites used to the catch.

DavoAnth

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Thanks for this Auscraft, I have a very basic level of trapping understanding, but seeing your dog assisting was a new one to me. I'm looking forward to learning more from your future posts.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Davo
dogs are used often they are/have different training or qualities to hunting dogs but are very useful in placing traps.
For example take the below photo
View attachment 17749
I set this trap about 6 -8 feet from where Kelly placed scent , the reasons were numerous but main reason was ground hardness and the already available drag.
Some may find this set interesting it is a basic hole set but the hole is a rotted top post section , the drag is a split post trap is connected to 6ft o chain which then attached to the drag with fencing wire.
I will talk more about this trap set and others when I have a hand with photography,

Last edited:

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
If just dogs could talk what an insight to the world they could give us.