Trapping tools and accessories

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
This thread is to talk about the tools and accessories you need or use for trapping.
please include the use of the item and how it works for you.
You can also include how to too on making your own tools and equipment, Pictures are great.
This can and will include your equipment used for tanning and so forth.
Include trap types you use and brands if you have a favourite.

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m not a trapper, but I have constructed a few traditional type traps, mostly as bush crafting projects.

I’ve not “set” the traps, just constructed, tested and de-constructed them.

A favourite is the figure 4 deadfall because it requires no real fore-thought, and you can do it while sitting around camp.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Trail camera and Modifications

One of the most useful tools used for hunting, trapping and even photography today is the trail camera without doubt. These cameras can be used for pre evaluating a site for animal presence and it can also be used for security on properties or even watching your trap sets.

As for my recent modification I have made to my cameras, It is not of my own design although I did today as I attempted to make the new mods changed 1 component which as I see it saved altering the camera body in any way and keeping it water tight. The idea of this mod came from Pest Animal Control CRC which basically changed the mounting of the camera and to certain extent the security of the camera. Their suggestion was basically removing the strap that comes with it and is limited in use and replace it with a piece of building bracing strap. This also involved drilling through the back cover of the camera and placing a bolt and nut in it to attach to the strap. This bolt set up is what I changed leaving my camera in manufacturing order.
View attachment 12688
Above is the camera with strap provided
View attachment 12689
Above the strap and tools I used for the mods but also include a drill and two pop rivets.
View attachment 12690
This is how I differed the attachment point for the strap, I passed a small length of strap through the already made loops.
View attachment 12691
Then as you can see I added longer vertical strap and pop riveted them together.
View attachment 12692Now as using 2 screws simple attach the camera to post or tree for security and then angle the camera to desired angle very strong and firm mounting. and although not 100% theft proof far more secure than quick release webbing strap

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
That's really clever. It can be very difficult to get angles right and chocking with bits of stick and rock and always a bit of a pain to achieve.

Thanks

Hairyman

Ludwig Leichhardt
Archivist
Reaction score
Picked up this little tool today at a country market.
Rabbit trap setting tools are selling for $70 to $90 so I thought this was a good deal at $20, .... but is it a rabbit setter?... it
lacks the notch in the hoe side for removing trap pegs.
DSCF4116 (800x530).jpg

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Ok here a few things I have knocked for my trap supplies. My welding won't win any beauty prizes but no one will steal them either:)
I make drags mild steel flat bar and rebar
View attachment 18284View attachment 18285

Dirt hole punch made from an old fence post , cap and 10mm mild steel rod
View attachment 18286

And of course rebar stakes with nut and washers welded
View attachment 18287

of course all of these can be brought but when you can make a dozen stakes for the price of buying two or 4 drags foe less than the price of 1 why would buy?

Last edited:

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Two tools I use . both purchased but you could make do with improvised gear.
View attachment 18304
top item is too test poundage of Pan fire the bottom tool is to level the pan.

JM9422

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I put these ground anchors together for my fox traps. They're nice and light and I only need to carry the one driving stake, which I also use to drive a small bait hole.

I used the 12 finer group strands of cable from a trailer winch cable (just over a foot long). With these I crimp a loop by hammering a small nut over the cable. The anchor end is held in place by a knot in the cable.
The anchor itself is a small (1-1.5 inches) angle cut section of 3/8" gal tubing. The hole is drilled off center so that when the anchor is set with a short pull, the section is forced to anchor horizontally.

The driving stake is just a piece of round bar with a small section of 3/8" tube welded just up from the end.

They're good enough to hold foxes, but I wouldn't trust the crimps with a dog.

anchors.jpg
anchor-knot.jpg
anchor-set.jpg