Trapping in Tasmania

DiCkO

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Im wondering if it is ok to use a net trap for rabbits, Im aware that jaw traps and snares are illegal and Im not using them. But if I was to rig up a trap that uses a net, and once tripped it hoists the rabbit above the ground physically un-harmed. or would that be considered a snare of sort. I cant find any info on this... I can only find the info on jaw traps etc.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Im wondering if it is ok to use a net trap for rabbits, Im aware that jaw traps and snares are illegal and Im not using them. But if I was to rig up a trap that uses a net, and once tripped it hoists the rabbit above the ground physically un-harmed. or would that be considered a snare of sort. I cant find any info on this... I can only find the info on jaw traps etc.
I doubt it; so long as the netting is too small for the rabbit's head to fit through. Universities and various gov researchers used cage type traps for animals and nets for birds. Snares and other traps that are banned are the cruel ones, especially those old school jaw traps - terrible things. There are many types of smart traps that asians seem to use. A good knowledge of rabbits would help with making a smart trap. They are cautious critters with very good senses - for you this means smell. Whatever you do, it won't take much to make them jumpy and more cautious after the first attempt successful or not. Don't catch a brushy tail or you'll need to dress up like michelin man to let him go :LOL: Bugger me, just saw the date of your post :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score

I would consult my local Department for Agriculture or Fishing and Game to be sure.