Trans Africa Trail Boot..?

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay a other thread on the forum lead me into the Ray's Mears woodlore shop. Window shopping(as you do)I came across these boots the Rogue RB-5 Trans Africa Boot..

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/813-Rogue-RB-5-Trans-Africa-Boots/

Have to say I was rather taken with them only problem was the price tag..!!Have to say I think this style of boot would be good for local bush bashing......What do you guys think???

I trying to see if there is a cheaper alterative around locally..

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
I had a pair of similar design for a few years, eventually gave up in the stitching around the edge, but they didn't really owe me anything and not everyone walks in wet grass most of the time. Comfortable shape.

Cogola

Russell Coight
Reaction score
The Rossi Mulga is somewhat similar. I haven't tried them myself so can't vouch for quality but know one person who spends a lot of time in the bush who swears by them.

Cogola

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Rossi do a boot called the Mulga which looks similar. Can't vouch for the quality but have a friend who swears by them.

Timmy

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Yes they look good. Price seems reasonable if they are a good quality boot. they are cheap when compared to a pair of RM Williams. Might find them cheaper elsewhere. Always risky buying boots online without trying them on though. Also the might be a heavy boot. I personally prefer light boots.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
The Rossi Mulga is somewhat similar. I haven't tried them myself so can't vouch for quality but know one person who spends a lot of time in the bush who swears by them.

Rossi do a boot called the Mulga which looks similar. Can't vouch for the quality but have a friend who swears by them.
Thanks,I like Rossi work boot's they seem to last better that other brands.

Good looking boots.
Yes they look good. Price seems reasonable if they are a good quality boot. they are cheap when compared to a pair of RM Williams. Might find them cheaper elsewhere. Always risky buying boots online without trying them on though. Also the might be a heavy boot. I personally prefer light boots.
Everything seems cheap when compared to a pair of RM boots!!Killer is that you are paying $50 just for postage..

Howling Dingo, why don't you order the boots directly from the manufacturer in South Africa (http://www.rogue.co.za/)
Thanks..good idea!

lou1661

Russell Coight
Reaction score
They are quite heavy, but i really like mine. my current pair are about two years old and going strong. if you like i can weigh mine (size 9.5) and take some extra pics of anything you want to see when i get back home on Friday.
Give me a shout if thats any help.

Cheers
Louis

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
They are quite heavy, but i really like mine. my current pair are about two years old and going strong. if you like i can weigh mine (size 9.5) and take some extra pics of anything you want to see when i get back home on Friday.
Give me a shout if thats any help.

Cheers
Louis
Thanks mate...Guess I am window shopping but you never know I my pull the trigger.Strange they only come in half sizes??

Had a look at the Rossi Mulga in a local shop seemed like a pretty good basic boot.

lou1661

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I think that the sizes are due to the boots toe box being quite wide, rather than a longer length footbed. If you need a wide fitting boot they are ideal.

Louis

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that the sizes are due to the boots toe box being quite wide, rather than a longer length footbed. If you need a wide fitting boot they are ideal.

Louis
Thanks mate,that shape my work well for me.

lou1661

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I have a weight of just over 2.1kg for a pair of 9.5's

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a weight of just over 2.1kg for a pair of 9.5's
Thank again mate... always useful when you know someone who has really used a bit of kit.Price tag is around $280 but worth it if you get a good few good year out of them. Normally I spend $150 to $200 for a pair of outdoor boots but as always you get what you pay for.