BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trail camera surprise...

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Downloaded images from the camera...surprised would be an understatement.

Not sure how the images will project, but look at the timings.

First is the fox at speed with head of emu, second is the emu tracks, then the emu comes up close against the camera, the last one speaks for itself. They must have chased in a circle.

IMG_0038.JPGIMG_0039.JPGIMG_0040.JPGIMG_0041.JPGIMG_0038.JPGIMG_0039.JPGIMG_0040.JPGIMG_0041.JPG

Randall

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I wonder if the fox prevailed, the emu definitely seemed to be gaining on the fox!
Awesome shots; what a novel insight.

I don't think the fox is too worried, running around the camera like that. His tail is still out; he doesn't seem worried that the emu might catch him. It's the sort of thing my dog does when others are chasing him - he does circuits, pirouettes, and lots of quarter horse moves. Does the emu have young ones?

I wouldn't be surprised if the fox is just playing - I don't think emus play :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
The emu was a juvenile that has escaped and been roaming free in that paddock for about a month. I thought Alpacas were good for foxes, but might have to add emus!

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
hey Thrud, do you run the trail cam 24/7?

do you catch much?

I have a new trail cam sitting here ive not used YET, got it on special months ago :rolleyes:

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I have had a camera out constantly for about 5 years. Originally a moultrie, which did great service until late last year when the material covering the sensor cracked, presumably due to prolonged sunlight exposure. It also survived being hit by a tractor!! The latest one is a Patriot and seems to be ok. I use lithium batteries.
I don't bait, but I put the camera where I have found tracks and that seems to work.

Have not used the video mode and experimenting with different resolutions. Usually put it at about half a metre off the ground and ensure that there is no grass or leaves that can trigger it.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
thanks Thrud, never thought about grass and leaves activation, great tip.

5 years, thats pretty great going really, you did well out of that one.

i have a Swann, i did start to read its instructions and TBH got a bit lost with it,
lock down is a good time to maybe dig it back out and catch the local wildlife walking past my suburban driveway, or lack of lol