Tracking the family moggy

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Just came across this, very interesting re the free rang family cat and how far they travel.

This is NOT a hate cat thread so dont start, i love cats, i dont own one ......BUT we all know how destructive they are to our local natives.

YES this is using a GPS for the tracking purpose and not per-say a "bushcraft tracking" skill, ive just posted for interest and edification.

The survey was carried out by The Central Tablelands LLS at Lithgow, in central-west New South Wales

http://www.boredpanda.com/gps-tracker-cat-movement-map-lithgow-central-tablelands-local-land-services/

peter.robinson

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
interesting to see, thanks Moz.
some of those locations jump a long way suddenly and really just look like bad readings

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Askew

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see something like this done in a more urban environment.

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I'm sure I've seen another study like this just recently but I can't recall where. No doubt interesting for the owners but not surprising to anyone who knows cats.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
i thought the cat was walking VERY straight paths as well.....but then its all about setting the GPS send time and how long the batteries lasts...maybe thats the long jumps in the path.
I know with my GPS if i turn it off say when we stop for lunch break and then turne it back on way after you have walked off and forgetting to turn it back on you do get that same straight path.

Anyway still interesting, wonder if there is a difference for "toms" they can hike a long way if its the "season" :p

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Mine doesnt go more than 50m. And he is in before sunset. Even moreso now im in a semi rural area.

Ticklebellly

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I have had several cats end their roaming at my place. Would a FitBit do as the GPS device? Smallest hand held unit I remember seeing is a Garmin eTrex10 at 142grams. Pretty big device for a cat to carry around.

Ticklebelly

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow. I found that absolutely incredible from the first image. Imagine my surprise when I saw the zoomed out view! I would be interested to know the intervals of the gps logging. Im with peter a bit here because damn there is one there where he traveled a LONG way between logs although its possible it failed to capture in between those points.

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. I found that absolutely incredible from the first image. Imagine my surprise when I saw the zoomed out view! I would be interested to know the intervals of the gps logging. Im with peter a bit here because damn there is one there where he traveled a LONG way between logs although its possible it failed to capture in between those points.
I think it lost the GPS signal Blake....I did see on another video i watched on the BBC that one cat teleported a long way only because its owners took it to their vet. :non sono stato io:

That same BBC video i watched also had a small camera on the cats for a day and night.....now that was interesting and not.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I have had several cats end their roaming at my place. Would a FitBit do as the GPS device? Smallest hand held unit I remember seeing is a Garmin eTrex10 at 142grams. Pretty big device for a cat to carry around.

Ticklebelly
The type of device that I believe you're looking for is a "GPS Logger" or "GPS Date Logger". A GPS receiver which writes data to a memory card. The card is removed periodically and read by any one of a large number of programs.

Here is an example of such a device. I don't know how this particular device would be used though. It looks like it would have to be placed into some sort of housing.
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1272

Ticklebellly

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Here is an example of such a device.
Thanks for that lead. I have a smart friend who should be able to explain how to use the data logger.

I am waiting for another friend to return my email. He had some device that would download the profile of a training run. That device is what prompted my FitBit question above.

TB

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I have a GPS data logger somewhere (haven't used it for a while). Got it from ebay several years ago, no brand name. About 1.5x the size of a match box. Charged via USB and took a micro SD card and an on/off switch. Turn it on and it gets a GPS fix then starts logging to the SD card. Really can't recall where it is. Bought it at the time as I was suspect to how a particular vehicle was being used so hid it in the car and retrieved it later to check where it'd been, when, how fast etc. Turned out to be all good so haven't really used it since but it's certainly small and light enough for a cat to carry but they wouldn't be happy about it at first.