Tracking boxes

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
A tracking box is a tool which can help trackers learn tracks of animals. The box is it self is controlled enviroment to gather and record information from a sand pit. The set up is relevently easy to do it requires approx 4 x 6 foot area filled with damp sand or fine soil (appox 2 cm deep) and in the centre food/treat is used to encourge wildlife. the goal is to gather readable print , gaits and stride of the animal.

The tracking box is not just for the beginner it can be used to study age of tracks and different surfaces. In order to track different surface the appropiate fill will need to replace the sand for example the sand could be left in and a cover of forest much could be added to the top, or replace with a sandy gravell Etc. these will need some practice or experience first. the other use as i said is aging a track .

Aging is a controlled situation and a subject matter needs to used(you or family pet) the idea is to make sets of tracks side by side over determined time and weather ellimantes. Each set of prints need to be studied and recorded with each other each time of recording over the time frame. You can choose the time of spacing each set of tracks but i would suggest not more than 3 hrs apart. Aging is a hard thing to achieve and practice will help a lot.

I still use the track boxes around my poultry pens to help identify predators which by correct id I can solve the promlems and times the predator is causing the trouble wheather it snake, goanna, fox, dingo or cat

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Also, it's a good idea to set boxes in different types of terrain for your area...

on slopes, flat ground, forest, grass, sand, rock, wet ground... to see how they affect the movement too.

21st century pict

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Sand traps or track box.
I originally posted this up on Bushcraft UK.
These are pretty handy for getting a clear print and sussing out what’s in the local area.
First use the natural vegetation to your advantage.
In the first image you can see how the tree and the felled tree top have created a natural bottle neck on the track funnelling the local wildlife through a small area and over the sand.

Hand sprinkle the sand along the path for approximately 1 meter, about 10mm to 20mm deep to get stride pattern.12 good handfuls of sand should be plenty..

Dampen down with water and role flat with your tracking stick or inflate a Polly bag and very lightly press all over to get a smooth flat surface.

Finished job.

Check 24 or 48 hours later "here’s one I made earlier".
Pheasant, Blackbird, Badger and Mink
Occasionally they get wrecked by mountain bikers, but still a good example of transfer.
The tracking box is also a great way to study pressure releases at home.
Can you tell I’m a big Tom Browne Jr fan?

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Great pics and info.
Thanks for sharing and yes there are always something going through your boxes when you are trying to gather info "Murppy's Law"