Topo map programs

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been doing some reading on the various map making options like Garmin Basecamp, Etopo, Six.nsw.gov.au etc.

Ideally I'd like to be able to make up my own topos with the UTM grid so that I can still grab a grid reference from the GPS and check it on the paper map.

I'm having trouble working out which program will let me add the UTM grid.

I know we've got some really tech savvy members on the site. Has anyone had luck with this?

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
A quick search has revealed that it's not an easy thing to do and requires some coding using the Google API. The good news is that some intrepid souls have already had a crack at it.
A program called GMAP4 seems to be what people are using. Professionals seem to have a much greater variety of software available to them but it all runs inside of GIS software and just reading about makes my brain hurt.

Try this link https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=38.259207,-16.760195&t=t1&z=2

HTH,

b.

Redtail

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
OziExplorer. Scan any image you like and calibrate it to whatever datum you like.
It can write waypoints, tracks and routes directly to most GPSes.
PC only, btw.

swampy99

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Have you tried QTOPO website for Queensland maps. It now comes with UTM and Lat and Long on the maps and scales down to 1:25000 or custom. Only covers Queensland I'm afraid. You can print ( for free ) set map sheets or your own custom area. Just Google QTOPO

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I have a mate who has some sort of program that lets him put a utm grid on Google maps. I hope to see him this week. If I can, I'll get a link up here.
Cheers
Bloffy

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Swampy, that sounds like a good resource. If they make something available to the other states I'm sure it will be popular.

That would be great Bloffy, thanks.

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
We have. It's been an embarrassingly long time since I spent a night out in the bush. Glad to be back into it now!

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Called my mate tonight for you.
He said it is called Qgis or Quantum gis.He said it is pretty powerful and you can overlay it over google map. Utm, lat/long etc. From what he said, you can also add in contours etc. I'm going to have a look at it myself when I get a chance because it sounds good.
Best of all, it's freeware and, as far as I know, add free etc.
Cheers
Bloffy

sokorny

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Called my mate tonight for you.
He said it is called Qgis or Quantum gis.He said it is pretty powerful and you can overlay it over google map. Utm, lat/long etc. From what he said, you can also add in contours etc. I'm going to have a look at it myself when I get a chance because it sounds good.
Best of all, it's freeware and, as far as I know, add free etc.
Cheers
Bloffy
QGIS is a really powerful GIS program that is open source (in other words free). The system supports most of the common GIS / spatial datasets (including shapefiles which many state governments provide). In WA you can register (for free) and have access to many WA government datasets to play with in QGIS. https://data.wa.gov.au/ You need to install an extra component to view Google Maps in the program (it is free, and is accessed through a menu option in the program). I personally have found the map production a bit clunking, but they may be because I use a different program at work (I am a geospatial officer).

Alternatively that site has an online mapping component (most you can also download KML files, which are viewable in Google Earth).

Another type of dataset commonly made available online (and viewable in QGIS) are WFS (web feature service) or WMS (web mapping service). WFS is data that can be interrogated (queried) whereas WMS are generally purely just images, so will depend on what you want to use (WMS are common for topographic and aerials).

For simplistically I would recommend OziExplorer ... you can bring aerial photos and topographic maps into the program to create a base and then add your own information over that. When I worked in the bush we used this program even though we had more powerful mapping software packages available to us.