Took the Cubs out this weekend.

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
What was particularly interesting was we cooked every meal over the fire in foil packs. I remember this being a thing when I was little but it seems to have disapeared as a skill set at somepoint. Does anyone know why?

Also, I think it is good for the Cubs (or anybody) to realise that you can get outdoors on a budget. I know so many people who limit their outdoor living due to percived expence costs.

peter.robinson

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I have no idea why but am interested in some details. what did you cook? is 'over the fire' done with a grill or on the coals?

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Lot of the team at the WA Grimwade meet used this technique, corn on the cob, potato, steak etc

Bodge

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Lot of the team at the WA Grimwade meet used this technique, corn on the cob, potato, steak etc
Bloffy should have tried this with his damper, Decco would still be the owner of a decent frying pan :;):

Sorry to hijack this thread, couldn't let an opportunity for a dig go by, I remember my days in Scouts and Venturers where Alfoil was the preferred method of cooking, it was light and didn't need washing afterwards and in the days of the 3 B's it was never carried out again.
Bodge.

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
I have no idea why but am interested in some details. what did you cook? is 'over the fire' done with a grill or on the coals?
Dinner was roast chicken and veggies and for breakfast we had Bacon, eggs and hashbrowns. Double wrapped in alfoil and placed in the coals.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
I picked this up from my days in Scouting, both as a Scout and later as a leader.
It's simple, quick and effective. And it's tasty too. Great to see the old Scouting traditions are being upheld.
Possibly went out of favour when there were concerns that aluminium might cause health issues.
You're right Bodge, I should have used alfoil. I normally do but had an (alcohol-induced?) brain fart.
I hope your pan has recovered, Decco.
Cheers
Bloffy

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Possibly went out of favour when there were concerns that aluminium might cause health issues.
Was going to suggest the same thing. Only a guess but it makes sense that they would've dropped it during that period. I had intended to do some corn that way at the meet up a couple of weeks back. Remembered the foil, forgot the corn :(

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
Yeh and they all went out and brought Trangias

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk