BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TiGer 2000S - Wetstone Grinder - REVIEW

old4570

Les Stroud
Reaction score
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W859 = Got mine here ...

A) It gets the job done
B) Yes , it's on the cheap plastic side
C) There are minor issues , but they dont stop you from sharpening .

I own enough knives to justify the purchase , especially since I decided to test knives and post results .
The Wetstone grinder puts down a nice straight grind that shows up bad grinds .
Most edges are made on a belt (?) and due to the size of the belt valleys can form where the blade lingers on the belt .
These valleys will not show up to the naked eye , nor with guided knife sharpeners as they follow the factory grind .
But a machine , with a fixture that holds the knife at a fixed distance / angle .... Well that's a different story .
So with the grinder , you are removing variables . Fewer variables = a better bevel / edge .

Having sharpened a few knives now ....
A) THe grinder usually and consistently improves edge retention .
B) Shows up bad grinds / bevels
C) Gives you very precise material removal
D) Ground edges strop back very well .

Some negatives :
A) You will need to develop some skill to get the best from the grinder
B) Depending on the blade and how you grind , you can splash water so it runs onto what ever surface the machine is on .
C) Angles , working out the angle your grinding can be tricky
D) My machine has a slow vibration that goes - thump / thump / thump / as the machine is running ... From some sort of tensioner . Yes it can be adjusted , but the thumping never goes away , it can be minimized how ever .
E) small blades / knives can be hard to sharpen
F) Large blades can be hard to sharpen .
G) Comes with limited tooling . ( Pay more for the extras )

I in no way what so ever regret buying this machine .
I guess I take my edges seriously enough to shell out $$ to have the best edge I can .