Ticks

stevemack

Russell Coight
Reaction score
While climbing Mt Mitchell in the Main Range National Park i encountered 8 ticks on myself once i had done the decent back down.Is there a natural bush treatment you can use to keep the pescky things from sucking you dry?

Kindling

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Been given this recipe to try

20/drops lemongrass essential oil
20/drops eucalyptus essential oil
4 oz water
Add all ingredients in a spray bottle shake well

Spray on shoes socks and pant cuffs

Safe for humans and dogs .

Haven't tried yet , somebody actually sent me this tonight .

lever

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Can someone please enlighten me as to the distribution of ticks in Australia? the only place I have encountered them is during my travels in South Africa.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Ticks can be found all along the East coast, including parts of northern Tas:
tick_map.jpg

To remove a tick, DON'T use tweasers, matches, pinc etc, the preferred treatment is to kill the tick in place, but check out the complete article for details and

• If you find a tick, do NOT forcibly remove the tick, but rather kill the tick first by using a product to rapidly freeze the tick to prevent it from injecting more allergen-containing saliva.
  • Ether-containing aerosol sprays are currently recommended for killing the tick. Aerostart® and other similar products have been used extensively to kill ticks in allergic patients. It should be noted that these products are not registered for use in humans and contains benzene but there is long term experience with these products which have been shown to be very effective in treating those with serious tick allergies.
  • The use of other ether-containing sprays (e.g. Wart-Off Freeze®, Elastoplast Cold Spray®) has also been effective. These products will continue to be studied and advice updated as experience increases.

If the person is tick allergic, then go to an Emergency Dept or GP

Ref: https://www.allergy.org.au/patients...nd-stings/tick-allergy?highlight=WyJ0aWNrcyJd

Verge

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Couple of drops of turps causes them to let go? This one was told to me by a cattleman, but untested - and going by the article posted would not be helpful to some.

Last edited:

lever

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Thanks to Aussie and the other contributors. Seems that I should at least start doing the body checks after a night out as a precaution.

stevemack

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Thanks to Aussie and the other contributors. Seems that I should at least start doing the body checks after a night out as a precaution.
I didnt no i had them on me.It was only until a mate said you have ticks on your neck and pulled seven of them off.
I got home to have a shower and had one well and truly burrowed in my stomach and was hard to get out.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Couple of drops of turps causes them to let go? This one was told to me by a cattleman, but untested - and going by the article posted would not be helpful to some.
I think there are lots of things which will make them let go, or will kill them, but what you want is to be rid of the without either leaving bits of tick embedded in you, or causing they to regurgitate into you.
I'm sure turps would get them off, but (an you say) it may cause more harm than good.

A while back a saw a wart freeze spray on sale at the local chemist (with a good use by). I bought one to store in the car. For me, its a bit too bulky to carry for just in case, but in the car is fine.

Verge

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I tried to have a bit of a look for more info on this today quickly on the bosses time ;-)
(I once had to remove a tick from someone else's intimate body parts - an interesting experience), but a quick search found that another way to remove them might be to suffocate them out - such as a heavy slathering of Vaseline or similar, that encloses the entire insect. I did see something about a specialty tick tweezer, will try and find this again.

Last edited:

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
This video shows the recommended way to remove a tick here in Australia. https://youtu.be/j77nrTVM_j8
They seem to be more prevalent wherever Deer are found.
Cheers,
b.

Here's the article associated with that vid:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2016-11-02/the-tick-debate:-how-should-you-pull-them-out/7541358

My personal take is that freezing is probably the best option - if you have the device available (and you are not allergic), but have a read and see what you make of it.

If you are searching for advice about ticks, I suggest you make sure it is Australian advice, is relatively recent and is from an "authoritative" source.

Advice gives for overseas species may not apply locally, old articles may be outdated, and "folk law" may not reflect current scientific opinions ...

stevemack

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Here's the article associated with that vid:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2016-11-02/the-tick-debate:-how-should-you-pull-them-out/7541358

My personal take is that freezing is probably the best option - if you have the device available (and you are not allergic), but have a read and see what you make of it.

If you are searching for advice about ticks, I suggest you make sure it is Australian advice, is relatively recent and is from an "authoritative" source.

Advice gives for overseas species may not apply locally, old articles may be outdated, and "folk law" may not reflect current scientific opinions ...
This is great sound advice.Thanks for the article 👍

Verge

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Nice article, thanks for posting Aussie.
What methods might one use if these things are far away? One of the options mentions using a treatment for scabies. And one of the home treatments that I've found so far for scabies is Tea Tree oil, Cayenne, Neem and Zinc. Does anyone have any information on what Aboriginals used to remove them?

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Lyclear is a permethrin containing cream used for scabies which is also recommended for ticks (in some sources).
I think this sort of cream is suggested as an option for small ticks or juveniles

If I was not allergic, and I didn't have a freeze option, I would consider using "... fine-tipped tweezers or a purpose-made tick remover..."
ref: http://www.travelvax.com.au/holiday-traveller/travel-tips/tip/21

(PS - this is not medical advice and I'm not qualified, its just my opinion)

Kindling

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I use the scissor handle locking type clamping tweezer things from the first aid kit to get them off the dog . this almost always gets them first grip and prevents slipping . ive seen as many as probably 50 after a few days in the forest before .
Ive had them on me attached too and experienced the beginnings of the paralysis tics poison ,
Somehow I always scratch where they are instinctively and find them , although they can start out really tiny like a speck .
I tried smothering one once with some cream and they said it would let go , I didn't let it stay on that long to find out though and pulled the tick off , was driving me nuts .

Kindling

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Its good to keep the tick in tact body and head , the biggest thing is they quickly puncture the skin and then are attached inside .

Then pulling can mean dismantling the tick and some is left inside , then you can muck around with the tweezers or whatever trying to pull it out , and it can get sore or infected , added with extra releasing their toxins . I suppose that's why they suggest letting it pull out and letting go being incouraged by suffocation of some chemical irritant .

The paralysis ticks can knock a dog over pretty quick , if you see the back legs going a bit wobbly and sideways chances are up here its a tick .

And even as far down as south east coast of Vic its happened , which the vet kept saying it wouldn't be , yet had to be convinced it had been pulled from the dog . they're not used to them like up north.

Couple thousand dollars later vet bill.

Ive had my arm start to get paralysed , funny feeling , doesn't take long at all .

Somehow if you find a descentish size one often
They'll be accompanied by a baby .

Like gremlins maybe pop out after a drink I don't know .
So keep an eye out for that phenomenon.

Last edited: