Things to consider when buying land

Askew

Ray Mears
Reaction score
What are the things that you need to think about before buying a bush block or acreage? The obvious stuff as well as the less obvious stuff, anything that could prevent the 'I should have thought of that...'

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
The larger the piece of land, the more rates you have to pay, even if you do not use any of the council services. If you plan to build, make sure the land has building permission. Other council charges include: PP Board. Also some councils like the Armidale council in NSW will charge you a fee for using alternate waterless toilet systems!!! Oh yes, in Australia the driest country, & in a drought!!!
Probably will not have to worry about this now with climate change, but just in case, check for high water marks on trees!!! Not sure what the wet season in the Territory is like these days, but if it is still 6 months of rain, then checking water levels is important!
Make sure there are no special restrictions on the land, or at least one that may interfere with your future plans.
Make sure there is public access to your land. Some properties have access roads running through other properties which the owner controls. Make sure you have legal access.
Keith.

Randall

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
The local council may also require you to slash it through the fire season if it isn't a bush block (and depending on location). And depending on what you get and what you do, you may have to comply with fire access and water storage etc. It's for your benefit of course, but here in Tassie it can be a sizable extra expense; turn around points for trucks, and areas for vehicles to pull off the road / drive if it's one lane etc. It might be worth while talking to the fireys; I know some properties they won't bother with if the owners haven't made some sort of effort.

Last edited:

T.C.

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Check the zoning for clearing trees as well, otherwise you may not be able to build where you like.

Rubbing Elbows

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Check the Council to see if there are any Fire fighting and/or bush fire requirements. Often additional tanks are required, location of tanks, location of dwelling, access to the site for fire fighting vehicles, also access to the tanks as fire trucks requiring access to the water storage etc

Last edited:

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
In WA, the BAL (bushfire alert level) is costing a lot of new builds a $41tload more.
My place, for instance, is a BAL 19 because of a COUNCIL nature strip with a few shrubs on it. This cost me an extra $3000.
A mate of mine bought a bush block in Mt Barker with the intent of building a shack but the BAL is so high he would have to clear it beyond his boundary to reduce his BAL to a viable level.
It is on a block surrounded by blue gum plantations on a road that he has been told is undefendable as there is not an alternate escape route. Poor bugger.
I watched a doco recently on a permaculture bloke who bought a property in the NT as it didn't have certain building requirements. By the time he finished, the local government had changed laws which he then had to retrospectively rectify. The added cost nearly broke him and took away a lot of the character he was working to achieve.
Cheers
Bloffy

Brumby53

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
The 4 most expensive initial items - if required ... all weather access (Track/Road) ... Fences ... Power (Connection to the grid or Solar/wind/batteries) and water storage Tanks/Dams