The Tinderbox.

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
The tinderbox was/is used to contain prepared tinder, tinder is generally prepared by charring directly in the fire, & then it is placed in the tinderbox & the lid closed to extinguish the smouldering tinder. When you wish to make fire, you simply strike sparks onto the charred tinder in the tinderbox, & offer some dry grass kindling or similar to the smouldering tinder & blow it into flame. Then you close the lid on the tinderbox again to smother the smouldering tinder.

I do not keep my fire steel/striker in my tinderbox, I carry it separate in my belt bag & the fire steel is tied to the buckle in the belt pouch. In this way I can strike sparks into the tinderbox & simply drop the fire steel without fear of losing it. I do however secure the flint inside the tinderbox. The tinderbox is kept inside my greased fire bag so as to keep the tinder dry at all times, & the fire bag is placed inside my belt pouch.
Keith.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Keith what is the dimensions of your oilskin fire bag please mate? I have bought some oiled cotton and want to make up a fire bag similar to yours.

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Keith what is the dimensions of your oilskin fire bag please mate? I have bought some oiled cotton and want to make up a fire bag similar to yours.
My fire bag is actually made of clothing weight leather, but oilcloth is fine too. Rolled=6cm X 13cm. Unrolled=20cm X 12cm.. Flap Closure= Aprox 10cm.
This is one of my older videos, & I no longer carry small kindling or anything else in the bag except my tinderbox.
Regards, Keith.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
here's a trifold wallet I made up for my tinderbox and other related kit, add in a tinder bundle kit (which in my case holds my flints, char cloth, jute, slow match cord, chaga) and away you go

1700's tinder box, tonteldoos, rope lighter and OliveMead striker with some amadou.

I just have to get some punk wood for the tinder box.