The Spring Equinox – a Micro Adventure challenge

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
A Micro Adventures is an outdoor adventure which is small and achievable, but takes you out of your normal routine.

Tuesday 22 September will be the Spring Equinox.

I’d like to throw down the challenge to everyone to try and watch the equinox sun rise and sun set, and take a photo of each.

Who’s in ?

I’ve put together a brief glossary below so you can brush up on terminology

And here are my thoughts about this Micro Adventure challenge:
  • It should be achievable in your normal life and routine
  • You don’t need climb to the summit of Mt Kilimanjaro
  • You don’t need to train
  • You don’t need special equipment
  • You can achieve it in any way which suits you and your family.
  • You can do it from your back yard, a park, a nearby hill, the roof of a multi-story car park …
  • Its up to you, but whatever it is, it should be an Adventure for you and take you away, just a little bit, from the every day

The Equinox:

The equinox occurs twice a year in Spring and Autumn.
You probably know that we have seasons because of the tilt in the Earth towards or away from the Sun.

As Winter ends the tilt of the Earth is getting less and less.
On the equinox the Earth reaches the point where there is no tilt with respect to the Sun i.e. the earth is at a zero degree tilt to the Sun (vertical)

On the equinox, the day and night are the same length, and the Sun rises due East and sets due West
(This is vey useful for natural navigation, just like a stopped watch is correct twice a day, you can determine East and West twice a year, without a compass)

Its has always been celebrated as an auspicious day and there are lots of traditions which date back to ancient times.

For me it is literally the turning of the seasons and a great excuse for a micro adventure.

Winter and Summer Solstice (when there is maximum tilt away from and towards the sun):
northern_solstice.jpg southern_solstice.jpg

Equinox – the Earth’s axis is vertical with respect to the sun
equinox.jpg

Micro Adventure

A term coined by Alastair Humphreys around 2010.
I was inspired, when I heard him interviewed, by the notion that not all Adventures need huge plans and big time commitments.

You can read his ideas here if you like: https://alastairhumphreys.com/microadventure-inspiration/
And a good summary is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microadventure

Cheers
Aussie123