The scouting movement as it used to be

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;LxiBTJ0EsK0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxiBTJ0EsK0&feature=my_watch_later_videos&list=WL28480FC790918F6F[/video]

GTVi

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Wow how old is that...was that Ross Higgins (aka Ted Bullpit) at the beginning?

TasMonk

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
This is from 1971 and for all it's dated cheesiness, looks fairly reminiscent of my time in scouting. But how is scouting different now than it was then?

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
But how is scouting different now than it was then?
Well, there are now girls in Scouts and as I found out only last week, there is now something called "Joeys". I think they are younger than cubs but could be wrong.

Michael

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
biggles your right about the joeys prety much a baby sit job

Stewart Townsend

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
Interesting, we only got the white lanyards for Patrol Leaders, and we had knives on our belts in uniform. I think I went from cubs to scouts in 1969 or 1970 and then Venturers and pulled the pin at 16.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not a total loss. That Milo tin tactic would have been great for Wentworth and I on the river crossing Corin. ;)

darren

Templar
Reaction score
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
I actually enjoyed that clip. Years ago scouts were held quite high in the community and made quite a contibution to our war efforts. I was never a scout myself but from an outsider it dosnt seem as popular as it once was. I would be interested in hearing from those that are still involved. Anthing that gets kids outdoors and teaches them life skills is good as far as i'm concerned.

bubba5603

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I found it interesting that you call the group younger than cubs "Joeys" there....here in Canada they are called "Beavers". Must be something with the national symbol.

As an aside, anyone in Scouts Australia run into a Canadian down there named Jeff Lauder? If so, send me a message so I can contact him (old friend from university days)

Big Bill

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I very much enjoyed that film..........They were phasing Co-ed in when I was in the movement I supose ..... Back then Scouts were all male but when I moved to Ventures it was both sexes...

Burnsy

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Great video, I was a cub and scout in the 70's and early 80's, I remember my mum made all the troups scarves and hand stictched the troup symbol onto each (a grass tree - blackboy back then) . I still have my shirt and my fathers from when he was a scout.

It was a great experience but I am afriad political correctness, nanny state mentality and duty of care has probably stopped them from doing 80% of the activities we did back then, these days.

Last edited:

Lepmeister

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this.
Made me think of when I was really young and joined the scouts.
It would have been the first time in my life that I studied for something because I wanted to as apposed being told I had to.
It’s a type of excitement nerves that were easy to recall in the video.

Neilsk

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Hey All,
I'm a Current Scout Leader.
We have Joeys, Cubs, Scouts, Venturers and Rovers
We have had girls in Scouts for at least 20 years.
The new uniform is blue and stupid. Should have remained Khaki.
Kids can still have pocket knives, but we dont encourage it, except on camp.
Im pretty sure Scouts can wear knives on their belts in public as part of their uniform, i read this somewhere where the public knife laws specifically mentioned scouts.

I noticed some of the guys here have some excellent bush skills, I ask a question have you ever thought about joining the movement, I recon if some of the scout leaders knew even half of the stuff talked about here Scouts would boom.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey All,
I'm a Current Scout Leader.
We have Joeys, Cubs, Scouts, Venturers and Rovers
We have had girls in Scouts for at least 20 years.
The new uniform is blue and stupid. Should have remained Khaki.
Kids can still have pocket knives, but we dont encourage it, except on camp.
Im pretty sure Scouts can wear knives on their belts in public as part of their uniform, i read this somewhere where the public knife laws specifically mentioned scouts.

I noticed some of the guys here have some excellent bush skills, I ask a question have you ever thought about joining the movement, I recon if some of the scout leaders knew even half of the stuff talked about here Scouts would boom.
I agree, on almost everything but especially the uniform. They kids look tardy and they can't look smart even if they want to in the current uniform, in my opinion.

The movement is only as good as the leaders, and thats part of the problem, lots of people sit on the sidelines and say "it is not what it used to be" but, few get involved and try and change it back so I guess it is no surprise that it is not what it used to be, when people had more time and less distractions.

Where are you from mate?

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I have just joined up as a Scout Leader here in Maryborough and as some of you would know Maryborough is playing host to the 2013 Australian Jamboree. Unfortunately I won't be able to attend as I have only just joined and I have left my run a bit late. I attended the 13th Aust Jamboree when I was a Scout myself so I know what I am missing out on. I will be going to the open day though on the 6th Jan to say hi to all of my troop that are going. There will be 10,000+ Scouts at the Jamboree. Should be a blast.

The video was a crack up seeing Ted Bullpit as a Scout Leader. It reminds me of the photos and stories from my Dad's days as a Scout and it also sort of reminds me of my time as a Scout. It was a lot different even in my time (mid 80's) but at least the uniform was the same unlike the modern blue one.

rurik

Walkabout
Reaction score
There is nothing in that video that could not be done in Scouts today. It just take well equipped, trained and confident leaders who have the backing of there group and branch.

bubba5603

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
I found it interesting that you call the group younger than cubs "Joeys" there....here in Canada they are called "Beavers". Must be something with the national symbol.

As an aside, anyone in Scouts Australia run into a Canadian down there named Jeff Lauder? If so, send me a message so I can contact him (old friend from university days)
Found him on Facelessbook and he just posted a couple weeks ago a ton of photos in the Jamboree the Scouts just had down under. Any one here that was there?

Mickldo

Ray Mears
Reaction score
Found him on Facelessbook and he just posted a couple weeks ago a ton of photos in the Jamboree the Scouts just had down under. Any one here that was there?
I went there for the future scouts open day. We weren't allowed to drive out to the showgrounds, we had to park at the speedway and catch a bus across to the jamboree. I was supposed to catch my bus at 9:30am so I got there at 9:15am so I would be early. When I came round the corner from the highway I saw the line up of traffic. It stretched up and over the hill and from later reports it stretched about 1km up the road. I had come in from the opposite direction so I only had a couple of cars ahead of me. Instead of parking I just got my wife to drop me off over the road and I walked across. I had to meet up with the rest of my troop so I went over looking for the others. As usual they were all late. Once we were together we got in the line up to board the buses. When I first got in it the queue was approx 400m long by the time we got on the bus the queue was approx 800m long. They had buses leaving about one every minute but we still didn't get out to the jamboree until about 11am. Just the huge numbers of visitors on the open day was phenomenal.

When we got there we wandered around checking out everything before we could catch up with the scouts from our troop that were there. They were on duty patrol that day so had to do some work before they could play.

The whole jamboree was great. There was about a thousand scouts a day running around the town of Maryborough doing treasure hunts and everybody I spoke to had nothing but praise for the scouts. They all said they were the most polite kids they have ever met. The leaders on the other hand........ Lets just say they could've taken some lessons from the kids.

After the Jamboree the local scouts that organised the jamboree had a sale to sell off all of the excess camping gear, food, furniture, electronics goods, tools, etc. I worked out there for the sale. It was massive. The sale started at 9am and when I came up to the gate to get the security guard to let me in at 6:45am there was already a line up on the highway. By the time 9am came round there was a couple of thousand people lined up at the gates and there was a line up of cars 2km long back out along the highway waiting to come in. This is the main highway 1, the Bruce Highway. When they opened the gates at 9am it was worse than the Myer boxing day sale. There was a couple of thousand people running across to where we all were. There were that many people the place was like the front row of the mosh pit at an AC/DC concert. People pushing and shoving but there was no more room for anyone else. We had people fainting, getting heatstroke and we even had one person have an epileptic fit. The sale was supposed to end at 3pm but there were still hundreds of people there buying stuff so we kept it going until after 5pm. There was probably enough stuff left over to fill a couple of semi trailers but that was only a small percentage left of what we started out with. All in all it was a pretty successful day. It would've been better if we knew we were going to get so many people and we made a few logistical changes but hindsight is a wonderful thing and under the circumstances the organisers did a great job.