The Pulowski Tool

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Heard of it? I knew of it, but I think the CFS called it a firebreak tool many years ago. Its an awkward, if not ugly looking bugger, but I have found myself wanting one now I have grown up:rolleyes: They are used for making fire-breaks/ barriers in scrub or on overgrown tracks, by means of clearing vegetation that could be ignited by fire. Thereby stopping a fire from spreading. The mattock end is for clearing small vegetation and dried grass, and the axe end is for chopping through roots or felling trees, also for fire-break purposes. I think this is an essential bit of kit for anyone living in a rural or bush setting or while travelling.

Council Tools U.S. Federal Forestry Service (FFS) Pulowski Tool

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
As I understand it more of a American thing not sure it was used in Australia much. You have a long line of men some with this this tool and they would make a fire break to stop the fire.

EucalyptusEvie

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I used to be in my local rural fire brigade and we used something similar to this to make firebreak lines! I only ever did it in weekly training however.

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
In my local brigade we did have a few Pulowski but the tool used most often was the rakehoe which is far more useful for fire fighting in Western Australia.

I know the tool you speak of. Yes this is the main fire fighting tool. I think it is more used in dry paddocks and grasslands, by a number of firefighters, as Howling Dingo said. We have it here too. It can be used to put out spot fires, in addition to making fire breaks from memory. I think I got this one confused with the Pulowski tool :rolleyes: The last time I saw your tool used on a bushfire on our farm in 1981! IMHO I think the Pulowski tool is still used to prevent fires where the vegetation is thicker and there are trees. I like the Pulowski tool as its also doubles as a handy camp axe & a descent sized hoe for the garden, while being a jack of all trades master of none (in the fire fighting department):)

Last edited:

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
The pulaski tool seems really rare tool in Australia ,but from what folk have said there must be a few out there somware. I had a look on ebay and the all come from the USA with crazy high shipping if you what one.

Gransfors bruks did a tool called a farmers axe few year ago which is no longer made. Same basic design but not sure if it was inspired by the Pulowski or a older Swedish design.

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Bit of topic but this folk song by Steve Earle recounts Ed Pulaski's and the axe he gave his name to..

Last edited:

Edward

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
The pulaski tool seems really rare tool in Australia ,but from what folk have said there must be a few out there somware. I had a look on ebay and the all come from the USA with crazy high shipping if you what one.

Gransfors bruks did a tool called a farmers axe few year ago which is no longer made. Same basic design but not sure if it was inspired by the Pulowski or a older Swedish design.

View attachment 26277View attachment 26278
Good to know.. thanks.
Forestry Tools in Melbourne sell the Council Tools (FSS) Pulowski Tool but pricey. I may have a go at re-handling a vintage head if I can find one.