The Pathfinder System (Home Study)

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Hi again all.

Ok, after reading a bit about it I am also definitely contemplating purchasing the course (get paid monthly so it'll have to wait till mid Sept' now - damn).
I'm about 95% convinced to go ahead with it, so, I'd be very interested to hear from anyone currently doing the course.
What do you think of it so far?
Is it worth the price?
Would you go on with PF training (given it's availability)?

Also, a question for Shane (I think).
Am I to believe you are negotiating with DC to bring some level of PF training into Oz?
If so can you elaborate at all?

Many thanks guys & gals.

Bill A.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Good questions... however it would be better to ask them in the PFS public group here: http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/group.php?groupid=3

We are trying to keep all the PFS information in one place so those who want information only have one place to look rather than endless threads on the public board.

Thanks for your understanding in this matter...

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
No worries. Thanks Templar. Will head there now.

Bill A.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Just placed my order. Now waiting on various PF Cert Phase 1 goodies arriving.

Bill A.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Just received my Pathfinder cert 1 course goodies in the mail less than 10 minutes ago.
It's gonna be a long day at work now, waiting to get home to check it all out.

Bill A.

john

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
just had an other look and it says web store , pathfinder school must be looking for others to be out lets , but ya aussie they haven't put it on there site that there a pathfinder web store .

john

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
go into the pathfinder store site and click on dealers and on the list is the Australian web store address, also info if you want to become a dealer .i get a lot of info on the pathfinder school because im linked to the face book page .

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Benny, I can't comment first hand on either, but I've been looking through the Bushclass USA one and it seems like a good structured incentive to get people out in the bush doing stuff.
Since it's free you could always do both of them for the same price as the pathfinder :)

Greatbloke

Jack Abasalom
Reaction score
I'm doing both courses. You would think that most bushcraft courses would be similar, but they are very different in approach and content. It's worth the $70 for the Pathfinder course I think, but I would add that even though it's advertised as applicable world wide I think as Aussies we are left in the cold just a bit with some aspects of it.....but nothing that this forum can't fill in the gaps on.... Essentially the Pathfinder course is self study guidance working through prac and theory modules, as opposed to a list of set practial projects to work through.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Ditto what GB said... both are good courses... PFS is heavy on the personal research and self teaching, BCUSA's course is spoon feeding, like this do that kind of deal, but both are valuable.

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Cool bananas, both it is. Thank you gentlemen.

john

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
both courses are good and are different in there topics eg. pf course you have to do 3 forms of primitive fire , where in bushclass basic & inter they use a lot of metal match but they light shavings from reduced wood , boy i wore out 3 steels doing that , but cant wait for the bushcraft oz course recon itll be a bute

Benny

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Did any of you bother with the PF Virtual Classroom?