The next NSW BushcraftOz meet 9th-10th February

Aussiepom

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Do I need to find someone to share a boat with, or are they all doubles, and we'll just fill the spaces when people turn up on the day?

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am taking out my 2 seater seylor and will have my pack on one seat and myself on the other..

What is the best seat for me to sit on to have maximum control of the vessel? Does it matter? I really haven't done much kayaking/canoeing and would appreciate your advice..

I was thinking pack and water in the front and myself at the back.
Normally you would sit in the back, luggage in the front.

When two people canoe together, generally you put the heavier in the rear; a slight amendment to that is that its also best to have the more experienced paddler in the back... can be a tricky call and may depend on where you’re canoeing as to whether it really matters. (Experience vs weight is one of the considerations when you pair up people for canoeing, there are other factors too ...)

From the back, its easier to control the canoe, and give instructions to the person in front. Generally the responsibility of the front seat is to follow instructions and watch out for rocks or other obstacles.

Its well worth doing a canoe course, even an introductory one, you’d be amazed at how much you can learn and how much more control you can gain of the canoe by mastering just a few special strokes; also how much easier it is to paddle !

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Do I need to find someone to share a boat with, or are they all doubles, and we'll just fill the spaces when people turn up on the day?
No mate I will pair you all up on the day. If we have an odd number I will put someone in a kayak.

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
:_lol:

If the loading of the canoe is by weight, looks like I am going to be alone with my long range fuel tank.. :_s::linguino:

Aussiepom

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I've just been looking at the logistics for this trip during my tea break and it looks as if I'll have to pull out. It's the best part of a 5 hour drive for me and with a 9am start that would take a bit of effort, (even if as mentioned, the start could be delayed for a while.)

At a different time of year I'd have made a longer weekend of it and travelled on the Friday, but with Xmas just passed my annual leave has run out.

I apologise if this has messed anyone about, (probably especially you Corin?) I reckon it would have been a great trip, but I guess I'll just have to look forward to a future event.

Once again, sorry for any inconvenience caused. Hope you all have fun.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
No worries Sean. Thats no problem. Catch you at the next one hopefully.

Smarteee

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
What's on the menu for the trip? Anyone going for a full camp oven cook up? Bannocks or damper bread? Freshly caught fish?

Personally, I'll be taking a dehydrated curry for dinner, some energy bars for snacks and eggs/porridge for breakfast. Also, I'll be indulging in some freshly baked chocolate muffins washed down with a glass or two (Titanium mug) of red wine in the evening.

gelandangan

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Instant noodles and muesli bars for the main meals.

And then I will definitely bring some self rising flour to make some stick damper.
I am actually surfing for camp fire bread recipes right now.

Mmmm.. maybe some sweet potato to roast on the ash....

WAITAMINUTE!! It is total fire ban, no camp fire!!
Ok back to square one..

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Might knock up a sneaky chilli beef dish in the billy. Boiled pudding for desert and a wee dram in between. :)

pap11y

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking grilled spam, eggs and baked beans for brekkie. Nut bars and spacefood sticks and rice crackers for snacks. Chocolate pudding for desert.

Since we are boating in I can take a substantial amount of water and some beers...

I am still thinking about lunch and dinner. I will be making bannock as its an elective for bushclass..

I am partial to stag chilli and instant mash for one of the dinners.. Its a tried and tested combo..

D

Deleted member 1018

Account Inactive
I'm going with a slow cook beef stew in my large billy and spiced rice in the other. Whiskey with both of them ;)

darren

Templar
Reaction score
Lucky Country, where the geckos are paid to l
what does it taste like? :88_:
Does it matter???

I had them at Kedumba. Sqwincher is a flavoured electrolite replacement drink that comes in a powdered form in a small satchel. I get them from work. They weigh nothing and ad some flavour to water. I used to take lemon tang but you can get them any more.

http://www.sqwincher.com/

I'm easy pleased..