BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This forum is currently closed to new user registrations. You are welcome to browse the forum as a guest and existing users may still login with their existing credential's to post on the forum.

The hunt for a spot light (thrower)

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
We saw more Roos and Foxes at these meets ..
One place had lots of Rabbits and Foxes everywhere ..
Which park bellow which Dam ? Forget the name now ...
Oh, I forgot about foxes in Melbourne - I've been in Tassie too long. There was a fox living over the back fence in Macleod when I lived there.

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
An update - I have both flashlights now and have just played with them for a while comparing beams and getting to know their user interfaces, heat etc.

What I’ve found so far; heat really is an issue the C8L. I was lucky during my research that I also chose the C8G believing that it would not get that hot. This was just from snippets of comments here and there of reviewers. It is a pity that reviewers don’t measure heat as part of the reviewing process – after all, it is heat that dictates how long a light can sustain higher levels more so than battery life. Heat also adversely affects the batteries.

Just playing with the C8L with short burst of turbo, strobe, and high it was starting to get hot. Out of the two, the C8L would work better on a bike. I think I’ll take the C8L while riding mtb if I think there is a chance of me being caught in the dark (late afternoon, have a mechanical issue or come off).

As an accessory light for walking (I use a headlamp) I’ll simply take the C8G through the warmer months, and the C8L through the colder months. They both have their strengths and weaknesses like everything else. I should state that flashlight enthusiasts seem to prefer the C8L over the C8G. They all seem to prefer the higher lumen output of lights and accept heat as a consequence.

Also, I don’t like the charging flap on the C8L – I’d rather not have charging. Sofirn themselves see this as a weakness for water ingress.

I have also bought a miboxer c4 charger. That thing is awesome. I’m not particularly knowledgeable with rechargable batteries, but have learned a bit about lithium ion. With this charger, I can see the internal resistance of the battery. Yesterday it was 12C inside, and the resistance of the battery was .73. This was higher than when I initially charged the batteries to 35% for storing, they were around .20 to .40. I imagine the lower internal resistance was because it was a warmer day. Also, resistance does apparently increase as the battery's level of charge increases, so it may be just that. Because I wasn’t in a hurry I lowered the charging input to 400mAh. I only charged it to 83% – allowing 3% use for my playing around with the light. I really like the charger. I see that previous versions of this charger had a temp readout – this version doesn’t, which is a bugger. However the internal resistance readout is handy, and at 400mAh input the battery remained cool. It can charge as low as 100mAh and as high as 1.5 amps. I imagine the lower settings will be more useful to me, especially in hot or cold weather. The default charging is auto where “charger could automatically distribute the charging current based on the internal resistance of the battery”.

I can also recommend (based on my limited research and knowledge) 21700 batteries; they really seem to be the best bang for buck. The energy they hold given their dimensions also seems to be the best. There is a bigger battery but it doesn't seem to be an equivalent improvement given its size. I'd also suggest getting 5000mAh batteries - they seem to be the current quality norm. With these types of flashlights you need a reasonable output. It seems that vaping has driven the quality and capacities of these cells - vaping must be pretty demanding. I bought samsung 50E batteries - these get good reviews. These can discharge up to 9.8 amps continuously (supposedly). That should be more than enough for my flashlights; for example the C8L draws 2.33 amps on high, .75amps on med, .15amps on low and .02 on eco (tested independently @ 1lumen.com). I would generally only use up to med to avoid heat; even eco is a luxury for walking in the bush - it's more than enough. For the few times I'd ever use turbo, just for the sake of it really - it draws 7.45 amps! The C8G of course has lower numbers all round.