The Housewife.

barra650

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
When I joined the Army in the 70's , you were issued a Housewife which was a very good piece of kit . Much better having a rolled up kit than an altoids tin .Thanks for showing your kit.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Coles has these currently for just under $5, I picked it up today, always on the lookout for little kits like this. I could reduce the size of the kit easily and would add one of my needle cards (7 needles) to the kit just to round it out.

Kindliing

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Thanks Keith, seems sensible to switch to a soft pouch actually , I'll look out for something.

I've been using dental floss to sew buttons on lately after someone suggested it after my sewing efforts kept them breaking the cotton thread. It's good stuff.

I also recently sewed my leather man leather belt sheath with it after the cotton thread would break when it got caught.

Most of the time if I break a needle it's trying to push it through something with whatever I have at hand that saves me punching a hole through my thumb.
Not sure how to use the little orange thing effectively there waveman. Do they fit your thumb?

Le Loup

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Thanks Keith, seems sensible to switch to a soft pouch actually , I'll look out for something.

I've been using dental floss to sew buttons on lately after someone suggested it after my sewing efforts kept them breaking the cotton thread. It's good stuff.

I also recently sewed my leather man leather belt sheath with it after the cotton thread would break when it got caught.

Most of the time if I break a needle it's trying to push it through something with whatever I have at hand that saves me punching a hole through my thumb.
Not sure how to use the little orange thing effectively there waveman. Do they fit your thumb?
I only use natural fibre threads, so I use linen thread, much stronger than cotton. At home I use a leather pad to push a needle through leather or a heavy material rather than use a thimble, but I also use an awl when required. I carry an awl in my knapsack.

The lower awl, which was my Father's, is the one I carry in my knapsack. The wooden sheath above has waxed linen thread wound around it.
Keith.

Kindliing

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I only use natural fibre threads, so I use linen thread, much stronger than cotton. At home I use a leather pad to push a needle through leather or a heavy material rather than use a thimble, but I also use an awl when required. I carry an awl in my knapsack.
View attachment 26998View attachment 26999

The lower awl, which was my Father's, is the one I carry in my knapsack. The wooden sheath above has waxed linen thread wound around it.
Keith.
After seeing that bit of leather with the hole in it for your finger I went and pulled out the leather finger tab bow string puller I have , should do fine and make for less broken needles and fingers. Thanks.

Leglesslarry

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Still can get army housewifes, old bacco tin with a few needles, cotton , some old buttons is easy to put together, dont need to go over board

Kindliing

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I ended up going with the army housewife too, when one cropped up a while ago I grabbed it.

Cheap too.

Kindliing

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
A while back I bought some webbing and it had this sowing kit in. I've never used it but wanted to know if anyone's seen one before and is it a legit Aus army kit. I think the housewife is a better idea.
Looks like a legit waterproof match container been improvised to make a small kit for the webbing . Good idea, the metal thimble also looks like it matches what I got in mine.