The Hardness Of Timbers

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
The Hardness of Timbers is something that most people interested in bushcraft will be interested in.

The link below, which was recently posted on ABF by DrIndianaJones

http://www.morlanwoodgifts.com/MM011.ASP?pageno=216

There are lots of native Australian woods there including the number 1 hardest wood, according to the list anyhow!

Dusty Miller

Alexander Pearce
Archivist
Reaction score
It is a pity that the desireable timbers (very hard) are so slow growing and come from low rainfall areas. You just can't speed the process up either, the faster they grow the softer they become.

Here is a list of the commnly available timbers in Australia (you should be able to get these at the local hardware store.). This site is for builders, so a lot of the technical info is missing. There are good intros to most of the available species. It includes info on the ease of drying too, which is ointerest t bushcrafters I guess.

http://www.timber.net.au/index.php/species.html

Another document that contains a lot of information on Australian timbers is

AS1720: Australlian timber design guide.

Not the most riveting read and the plot sucks, but there is a lot of technical information, and some surprising facts too.

Last edited:

Enigma1

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Anyone got a list of decent NATIVE bow making timbers?

AussiePreppers

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I am at work so can't check myself but there is a member here, Jack I think (oh man my memory is bad) who has probably listed them but may reply to this thread as well. You may be able to find it sooner via a search. He is an absolute expert on the matter.

solidute

Malcolm Douglas
Reaction score
Quick question.

Is there an online resource for identifying particular trees in a region? Eg could i search for hardwoods found in south Australia

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

silverback

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
what would be a good western Australian timber to make a butchers block type bench for my leathercrafting. Thanks

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
@ Silverback. What about peppy if it is not split? It's tough as and has an interesting twisted grain. Might be hard to find a decent smooth block. Otherwise jarrah or even maybe sheoak. I am not a woodworker at all but they are all good WA hard woods that are readily available.
Cheers
Bloffy

silverback

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Sorry guys, forgot this was a sticky, I will post in general. mods feel free to delete if need be.