BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the colours of quartzite

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I have a vast quantity of quartzite on hand and have noticed the great variety of colours it comes in, as well as quartz crystals and quartzite rock.

Here is some of the quartzite and quartz I have
Bc30coD.jpg

jOhw9Jx.jpg

a discussion on quartzite and quartz

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
as I mentioned in the video, I have had the chance to evaluate quartz and quartzite now for a good bit and have come to appreciate this versatile rock. It may not be as durable at the edge as flint but from what I have seen it is more plentiful across the planet. It fractures like flint when spalled and develops the sharp edges we love from driving sparks off for 'flint' and steel. I have found it is as varied as most other rocks and comes in so many subtle variates, colours and the way it acts under the striker. I would never feel at a disadvantage if I only had quartz or quartzite available to me, I would just recognize its inherent weaknesses and work with the stone to maximize its usefulness. What I suggest is to use bigger stones to start with, because you will burn through the edge quicker if you start with a larger stone you can chip out the edge and then spall it small and continue to use the smaller stones.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
flint is definitely the benchmark for flint and steel and while I have a soft for our Aussie flint it is about on par with all other flints except Norfolk flint.

I have had the chance now to test a multitude of rocks ranging from Moh's 5.5 (obsidian) to 8 (Topaz) I do have some Corundum coming (9 Moh's) and have found so many spark-abe types available to us to use.

To be honest my favourite out of all of the stone I have tested is the Muckadillia Petrified wood, it is exotic, flint-like and looks spectacular. I hope to one day go back to the property at Muckadillia and harvest as much as I can. From what dad said there are hectares of it there just to be picked up.

RUMB0

Russell Coight
Reaction score
flint is definitely the benchmark for flint and steel and while I have a soft for our Aussie flint it is about on par with all other flints except Norfolk flint.

I have had the chance now to test a multitude of rocks ranging from Moh's 5.5 (obsidian) to 8 (Topaz) I do have some Corundum coming (9 Moh's) and have found so many spark-abe types available to us to use.

To be honest my favourite out of all of the stone I have tested is the Muckadillia Petrified wood, it is exotic, flint-like and looks spectacular. I hope to one day go back to the property at Muckadillia and harvest as much as I can. From what dad said there are hectares of it there just to be picked up.
I know that this is not on topic (quartz, flint etc) , but I'd like to know if you would like to trade a piece/pieces of flint for some punkwood and some fatwood that I have harvested. I have read that you find it hard to obtain the punkwood, and you do reviews on fatwood so I thought you maybe you'd like to try this idea? If not a trade , I will still send both types of wood and you could do a review for your channel and my instagram page. I will send you some pictures so you can decide if you are getting a good deal.

Attachments

• 20210429_181302.jpg
    20210429_181302.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210429_181312.jpg
    20210429_181312.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20210429_181337.jpg
    20210429_181337.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1