BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The coffee can - Hobo Stove

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Finished off my Coffee ... that is a nice can, shame to just through in the re cycle bin ..... hmmm how about i re cycle it :unsure:

Been wanting to make one for a while so a Hobo Stove it is.

1/ Measure equal holes around base and top.

2/ Cut small door as a feed window

3/ legs to raise off ground, 4 small bolt with washers and nuts

4/ 3 small self tap screws to hold inner tray

5/ cut round section wire grill for the inner tray

6/ 4 small level holes under top ring to hold two old tent pegs for pot holder.

. . . . dont think it will last all that long, but a fun project all the same.

20210915_125648.jpg20210915_134741.jpg20210915_134810.jpg20210915_134905.jpg

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I made one of these decades ago, but without the opening in the side. On it's first burn / test run I was foolish enough to leave it sitting on the deck while I got more wood. It burnt through the deck :eek:; a nice round hole.

They are an awesome thing. I have a jacketed one now (bought) which runs like a gas burner; I suppose it is a gas burner. It takes a little while to get the heated air going (10 mins?), but then it's great. I think your style is much easier to use / light.

If you ever use it for car based camping, I can recommend these; it's amazing how much fuel you can get from a small dry branch.

Last edited:

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I made one of these decades ago, but without the opening in the side. On it's first burn / test run I was foolish enough to leave it sitting on the deck while I got more wood. It burnt through the deck :eek:; a nice round hole.

They are an awesome thing. I have a jacketed one now (bought) which runs like a gas burner; I suppose it is a gas burner. It takes a little while to get the heated air going (10 mins?), but then it's great. I think your style is much easier to use / light.

If you ever use it for car based camping, I can recommend these; it's amazing how much fuel you can get from a small dry branch.
Burnt through your deck, did you have feet on it? that Would have been a surprise seeing the hole and no stove lol

that link takes me to Bunnings, your evil Randall, I’ve been trying to stay away, my addiction is real 😳😬🤣

Randall

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Burnt through your deck, did you have feet on it? that Would have been a surprise seeing the hole and no stove lol

that link takes me to Bunnings, your evil Randall, I’ve been trying to stay away, my addiction is real 😳😬🤣
no feet - you're a better engineer than me :(. I just didn't consider that there'd be that much heat at the bottom - I was surprised :oops: :LOL:. It was quite fast too - as you know those stoves are economical but they still burn through that small amount of wood quickly.

Re your bunnings problem - do you have a dog? I order online and arrange a pick up (from the counter). I walk there with my dog (only 5km from here), tie him up outside, go in and collect. I don't like to leave him tied up too long - dogs get stolen these days, and he does get anxious. I also do the same for things that are further away - drive part way, then walk from there.

Or follow the mantra of a friend - "he who dies with the most toys wins" :LOL:

Last edited:

Mozzie

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
oh yeah, first Hobo Stove and was surprised how fast it did burn threw the fuel, it was a constant twig feed. :oops:

also i noted how hot it was, condensed and funneled to the top.

Next project is a hobo billy, small coffee tin with handle and lid.
...and trial how long it takes to boil a cup full of water.

Do have some nice billys (store purchase) .... but to keep in the them, have to make one ;)

My hobo Stove was not my idea, i copied the process from David West Youtube 😁
link here