The 20c Spork - A project for those who think they want a spork

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
20170219_140350 (Medium).jpg

I don't have a spork. I've never had a spork..... but I think I want a spork ..... ??

A trip to an Op shop produced a nice stainless steel spoon for 20c. Don't use a spook from your kitchen draw, that just won't work !

I outlined the shape I wanted with a black marker:
20170219_124530 (Medium).jpg

Then set about removing the steel which was in the way of the spork.
I used power tools because I could, you can use whatever tools you have to achieve the same result (or better).

Here I'm using a small bench grinder and constantly dipping into a mug of water to stop it overheating:
20170219_125428 (Medium).jpg

Once the top section was ground away, I used a cutting disk to make the slots (also constantly cooling with water) :
20170219_131602 (Medium).jpg

I used a small stone to remove the burr. In hindsight this was a mistake because it left marks on the finished product which I couldn't polish out.
But its only cosmetic, so I'm not really fussed. I say this only so you can avoid the scratching.
I should have just used a small file, but I didn't really think about it :
20170219_132026 (Medium).jpg

Once the burr was removed, I filed between the tines and polished the spork:
20170219_133743 (Medium).jpg 20170219_134752 (Medium).jpg

Job done ! Ready for some noodles ....

All up it took about half an hour, including pauses to take photos.

If you don't have a spork. If you've have never had a spork..... but you think you want a spork ..... give this a go !

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
.... I also don't have a spork sheath ! .... Just kidding !
I have a spare spork sheath if you wanna pay postage. It's from my original spork which my son absconded with and I have never found it since. It will be dug up in the garden in a couple of hundred years time and questions will be asked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the offers of the sheath(s), I really appreciate the thought, but I'm happy to just throw it into my bag as is.

Cheers guys.

Markie D

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Now added to my to do list...... Good work, Love these little projects.

Extra FYI reading. For those who are interested,
Most stainless is what is called austenitic grade (300 series) meaning it wont really harden by heat treatment. So stainless doesn't really have a temper on the steel, so keeping it cool only really stops it from dis-colouring, It doesn't really change the hardness........ If the spoon is not stainless steel then heat may harden the steel. So check if a magnet sticks.

Last edited: