Texturing machete handle

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Watched this elegant but simple technique for putting a bit of grip on machete or any wooden handle. He mentions doing it to certain parts of a smaller axe. I don’t know if anyone on the forum has improved axe grip with anything other than a leather or Paracord wrap. Be interested to hear/see your mods.

I find Ben’s videos entertaining, especially the subliminal bits!

No affiliation

MongooseDownUnder

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks for pointing us in the direction of this channel, very entertaining. I tend to agree with Ben’s assessment that it’s not really needed on an axe. That technique looks very cool though!! Might do it to my machete, not that I use it much though. Another thing I have thought about doing is chequering a handle, probably take a while to do though.

Randall

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
It's good to have the option of not increasing handle size by adding stuff to it. MGU - if I wanted to checker a handle, I'd mark out how I wanted it, then use a cutting disc on an angle grinder. I have an angle grinder, it's probably half size? It was pretty cheap. The cutting wheels are fairly thin. A tenon saw could be good too.

Last edited:

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Ben's shop is worth a look I have got some gear of him in the past. One of the better local bushcrafty things on you tube...

odgens

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
Thanks for the link to the video, hadn't seen his channel before and has some interesting content