Testing my Onesie and other things

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I thought that I would test my Onesie last night in a hammock without witnesses as I am very sensitive and wanted to be able to sleep without gales of laughter keeping me awake. I also wanted to test the Klean canteen vacuum flask and my new deadfall prevention device.

Set up the hammock and bent a couple of sand stakes setting up the tarp. I still had to use rocks as I was pitched at 90 degrees to the wind and knew I was in for a cold one.
The clean canteen worked very well and the insulated cup it comes with is handy. Coffee still piping after 16 hours.

The hammock had Tier gear full length under quilt and the deadfall prevention was 30metres of 8mm cord held taught with a stick used a s a windlass. Must have worked as I am still alive.

The Onesie was brilliant; those hammockers know the wriggle getting into the hammock and then having to get out at 0230 for a p getting all cold in the process. I had a Thermartex blanket as a foot box, but did not need it. Getting up and out and back in was much easier and I was able to get back to sleep much quicker, plus I didn't loose any heat.

Difficult knowing what the real temp was last night, car showed 8 when I got into it and then dropping to minus 1.5 by 10K from where I was. There was a fairly constant wind most of the night; I will be using my Onesie for all car camping hammocks from now on. Despite the laughter.

Attachments

Last edited:

Randall

Ray Mears
Reaction score
I forget what ummm style of onesie you have (was it a rabbit?). I would be concerned though, wearing this in the bush. You might get shot by an overzealous hunter or concerned farmer.

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I should have taken a selfie. But you’ll just have to imagine.

I apologise if you wake up in a cold sweat tonight:)

Le Loup

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
I thought that I would test my Onesie last night in a hammock without witnesses as I am very sensitive and wanted to be able to sleep without gales of laughter keeping me awake. I also wanted to test the Klean canteen vacuum flask and my new deadfall prevention device.

Set up the hammock and bent a couple of sand stakes setting up the tarp. I still had to use rocks as I was pitched at 90 degrees to the wind and knew I was in for a cold one.
The clean canteen worked very well and the insulated cup it comes with is handy. Coffee still piping after 16 hours.

The hammock had Tier gear full length under quilt and the deadfall prevention was 30metres of 8mm cord held taught with a stick used a s a windlass. Must have worked as I am still alive.

The Onesie was brilliant; those hammockers know the wriggle getting into the hammock and then having to get out at 0230 for a p getting all cold in the process. I had a Thermartex blanket as a foot box, but did not need it. Getting up and out and back in was much easier and I was able to get back to sleep much quicker, plus I didn't loose any heat.

Difficult knowing what the real temp was last night, car showed 8 when I got into it and then dropping to minus 1.5 by 10K from where I was. There was a fairly constant wind most of the night; I will be using my Onesie for all car camping hammocks from now on.
Well done Thrud, though I would set the hammock a little higher off the ground, & have known wild boar to charge through a camp in the middle of the night, I had a friend who was thrown out of his camp bed & was lucky not to get slashed.
Keith.

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Complete with anti-Thylacine spray.....
I must say that I slept most comfortably just in my blanket/cloak but that was in February. I might give it a try in winter but with a back up plan. The main reason a sleeping bag gets cold is compression of the fibres. With a wool blanket/polarfleece combo that compression would be reduced, I think. Also recently saw how to use my combo as an underquilt, top quilt combo, which, again, I am yet to try. But a onesie, despite the sniggers, could add the extra insulation in a small packable package that is needed for a cold night. I think I might get a rainbow unicorn one, or My Little Pony......
Cheers
Bloffy

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
Thanks Mozzie. I knew someone like yourself with good taste would appreciate the look!
They just don't understand me here in WA:)

sami12

Ray Mears
Reaction score
i laughed out loud at the kevlar onesie remark. then i saw the picture linked by redtail haha.. geezus..
glad you were warm and safe. thanks for the write up!

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
Great post Thrud, but very disappointed that there was no onesie on site photos!

Thrud

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
I will probably be using the fabled onesie on the WA meet at the end of the month. I am almost certain that the bushcrafting paparazzi will be there...