BushcraftOz | The Australian Bushcraft Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tarp repair - ember holes

MJC88

Les Stroud
Reaction score
Got a couple of small ember holes in my hoochie last time I was out, just wondering what I can use to repair them? Preferably something I can buy at my local hardware store.
Glue, tape?
TIA

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Ask the local store what they have - but as Mongoose' says gaffa / duct tape is fine for a small hole.

We have tents which have had gaffa patches for years.
My advice would be to round the corners so you apply an oval (or round) patch; they can start to peel from a corner (if square or rectangular).
Also I usually put a patch inside and outside.

Kaninmaskwa

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Tape will work, however for small ember holes I have always used a smidge of silicone or seam sealer. Carry a small tube of seal when wet and you can even make repairs in the rain.

I have never had a problem with silicone. Just a small dab, wet fingers and tool from both sides.

If the homes are a bit bigger then I've often applied just a bit from inside and tooled with the tip wait until semi dry (enough to hold shape under pressure passed skin phase) then repeat from outside ensuring water can run freely over or around repair without inducing a leak above repair.

I've used this technique for holes as large as pinkie toenail. Although my pinky toe nail is small. Alternatively silicone and an offcut of canvas can make a quick long lasting repair.

One other thing these techniques can make repairs virtually invisible are just as easy and almost as fast as tape besides being longer lasting and more durable IMHO.
This is coming from someone who has spent significant time in a tipi as well as living over a year in a wall tent in Canada heating with wood stove. (Side note: a proper tipi is significantly better engineered then a good wall tent.)

Funny thing is most ember holes I experienced were still from the fires outside the tent not the ones inside.

Hope this helps.

Aussie123

Never Alone In The Bush
Staff member
Reaction score
Tape will work, however for small ember holes I have always used a smidge of silicone or seam sealer. Carry a small tube of seal when wet and you can even make repairs in the rain.

I have never had a problem with silicone. Just a small dab, wet fingers and tool from both sides.

If the homes are a bit bigger then I've often applied just a bit from inside and tooled with the tip wait until semi dry (enough to hold shape under pressure passed skin phase) then repeat from outside ensuring water can run freely over or around repair without inducing a leak above repair.

I've used this technique for holes as large as pinkie toenail. Although my pinky toe nail is small. Alternatively silicone and an offcut of canvas can make a quick long lasting repair.

One other thing these techniques can make repairs virtually invisible are just as easy and almost as fast as tape besides being longer lasting and more durable IMHO.
This is coming from someone who has spent significant time in a tipi as well as living over a year in a wall tent in Canada heating with wood stove. (Side note: a proper tipi is significantly better engineered then a good wall tent.)

Funny thing is most ember holes I experienced were still from the fires outside the tent not the ones inside.

Hope this helps.

Silicon/Sealer sounds like a great option.

I don't usually carry it when hiking or walking, but it does sound good. I do carry tape, so that's why I use it - then never get around to making any "proper" repair, like Kaninmaskwa !

Bloffy13

Jon Muir
Reaction score
Just ripped two holes in my brand new but cheap as waterproof pants over the weekend. My mate, a canvasser (he works with canvas not politicians) suggested "stickyback" on both sides and then heating it to make the glue truly stick.
Not 100% sure what stickyback is but it sounds like the stuff you cover books with. I would assume this would also work with your tarp.
I will investigate further and share my findings.
Cheers
Bloffy

apsilon

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
I've never used it for tarp repair but if you want something you can find locally, I'd try 3M Scotch Tough All Weather Duct Tape. It's not cheap at about $20 a roll but it is strong adhesive, fairly thin and rated for all weather use. There's also a clear version which is supposed to be waterproof and weather resistant (also a little cheaper) but you'd think the version with "All Weather" in it's name would be better for long term outdoor exposure.

biggles1024

Rüdiger Nehberg
Reaction score
Just ripped two holes in my brand new but cheap as waterproof pants over the weekend. My mate, a canvasser (he works with canvas not politicians) suggested "stickyback" on both sides and then heating it to make the glue truly stick.
Not 100% sure what stickyback is but it sounds like the stuff you cover books with. I would assume this would also work with your tarp.
I will investigate further and share my findings.
Cheers
Bloffy

I found this on eBay. http://www.ebay.com.au/gds/SAIL-REPAIR-PRODUCTS-METHODS-Sticky-back-UV-protect-/10000000012221213/g.html

I couldn't find any products that matched that description exactly on eBay though. It might be worth just searching the net in general.