Sydney/ Blue Mountains Meet

BushChef

Karen Hood
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi folks. Wentworth and I just got back from our very first hammock hang which was so good, we thought it would be great to organise a trip with a focus on bush craft.

If you think you'd be interested in getting together sometime in the new year for a "Bush Craft Camp-out" let us know on this thread. It would be a great opportunity to share your skill/s of special interest with other members.. there might even be fresh camp-fire cooked bread and wine to go around, who can say...?

We would need to suss out an ideal location and time which everyone mutually agrees on, so please put forward your suggestions. As Blue Mountains residents Wentworth and I had either Euroka Clearing in Glenbrook or Kedumba (Jamison Valley) up at Wentworth Falls in mind. Euroka is National Park camping ground which would need to be booked in advance, Kedumba is free for all and rather secluded but requires a bit more work (10km of downhill fire trail to the valley, followed by 10km gradual uphill to come out, a challenge for the old ticker but definitely worth the slog - one of the most beautiful spots in the mountains, very special). Of course these are just a few suggestions from us, so please feel free to put forward your own.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Cheers,

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
Great idea! I am in. Set a date and I will confirm definately. If people want to play watch hawks and knives, build shelters etc then private land or state forest would be perhaps better. I have a few suggestions in that regard. Great idea awhile we can finally get this off the ground!

BushChef

Karen Hood
Staff member
Reaction score
Awesome, haven't done much camping in real forest so that would be a very welcome suggestion indeed! Regarding dates, we were thinking maybe early to mid Jan? Would that be an ok time for people?

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm in for sure. I'm happy to go with the flow and go wherever the group decides. I'm going on a trip on the 7th - 8th of Jan. Other than that I'm in, pending a work catastrophe.

Mountainwalker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Yeah, it sounds like a great idea. Depending on my availability (going interstate on an off in jan/feb) I'd join in.

Bloozz

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Hi I would be interested in this meet up if it is somewhere easy to access like Euroka Clearing. I don't have a 4WD or want to walk very far so some other locations would not work for me. January is OK but I'll be back at work from the 9th.

Bloozz

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
OK, well here's a stupid question, how did 'Bear Grills' pop up on my post? And how do I get rid of or change it?

Wentworth

Bear Mears
Staff member
Reaction score
You up for a bit of a long distance commute to the Sydney Meet Templar? The bread will be worth it!

BushChef

Karen Hood
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Bloozz, I'm sure we can come up with a location where little walking is required. I think it will be important, I imagine those bringing quite a bit of gear for the trip will not want to be carrying it too far, would probably also be getting quite heavy for a pack. I personally am hoping to bring my dutch oven.. don't want to be carrying that in my pack! (although some walkers do!).

Just so we have somewhere to start, I will propose we organise the trip for the weekend of the 21st and 22nd January. How does that sound?

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds good to me BushChef. As I said im happy to go with the flow. Was looking forward to a bit of a walk but the more people we can get the better so whatever brings more people together i'm happy with.

Bloozz

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
21/22 January is OK for me. Where are you thinking of going?

Walker

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Maybe a back-up plan/area too - bushfire season.

Euroka is really nice - there's not that many areas that are as secure. (No fires - only gas/fuel stoves permitted)

Wheeney Creek camping area is really nice - rainforest type stuff. It's off the Bells Line of Road - Comleroy Road. Been there several times.

Also, though maybe a bit too far, is the State (pine) Forest out near the Zig Zag Railway (Newnes State Forest). Newnes itself would be a good venue too, but that is a fair hike - and it's never been the same since the pub became a shop and stopped serving beer circa late 80's.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As long as there's trees for a hammock. Wheeny creek sounds nice. Never been there.