Swiss Army knife I've lost mine

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
So my question is what do I buy to replace it?
I bought this second hand at a disposals in melbourne about 20 years ago, actual olive drab real issue knife, double headed eagle on the handle.
I bought it as Austrian issue and had no trouble keeping a razor edge on the blade and the 90mm saw blade actually worked.
I must have dropped it last week-end.
So what do I buy to replace it?

Has to be compliant with our current stupid laws so the blade needs to be reasonably small, another SAK or a small and light multi-tool??

Only needs are robustness and the ability to take a razors edge, one blade is enough.
I have my old Kershaw "Stockman" but that was a gift from my father so that stays at home.

looking forward to you input as I just cannot try out all the small folders that ae available.
So just looking for a short list of affordable units.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I have a SAK Super Tinker, quite handy, I particualy like the scissors feature.This is a good SAK, handy and versitile.

I have also recently changed EDC to a Leatherman Freestyle (from a Benchmade mini Barrage), because of said BS carry laws.
(pic the Freestyle is the tool on the right, beside a ToolLogic survival card)

both of these tools are sheeple friendly, and cop somewhat friendly(the Freestyle is a multi tool, but has a accessable locking one-hand-opening blade[under 3" in length], so I would argue that it is a "pen knife", an undefined, legally carriable knife by any one with out "justification")

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
The SAK was & is a quality piece of gear well worth owning.
However, if I had to choose only one today I'd go for a leatherman multi tool.
Just more versatile I reckon & a bit better able to cope with a bit heavier tasks.

On another note. If ya head along to the leatherman web site there is a facility there to email their sales dept with ideas you may have that they can use.
I sent in my own little idea t'other day in that I thought the addition of a removeable ferroceum rod & also small knife steel would be well worth consideration.
I think those two items would greatly enhance the useability of their multi tools.

Bill A.

Bartnmax

Richard Proenneke
Reaction score
" I would argue that it is a "pen knife", an undefined, legally carriable knife "justification")
Really, this just highlights how much BS surrounds these ridiculous regs.

Just what is a 'Pen knife'?

Is that like a knife you can write with?

Or is it a really sharp ball point pen you can cut with?

Is there such a thing as a 'Pencil knife'?

This reminds me about one of the problems NASA was faced with when organising their astronaughts for work on the international space station.
They spent many millions of dollars researching, designing & manufacturing a special pen that could write at any angle & would never run out of ink due to zero gravity. In the end they produced one of the world's most advanced high tech writing impliments, albeit at an incredible price. But what a work of art.

The Russians just use a pencil.

Bill A.

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
Personally I would go with a SAK "Rucksack" model... good locking blade, saw, can & bottle openers, awl, cork screw, screw drivers and a wire stripper... very similar to your old BW one and very reliable... quite cheap too IMHO... I've carried mine for years and never had an issue with it...

Moondog55

Walkabout
Reaction score
Wondering if the new "Soldier" model was worth the extra $30-, maybe I should get a bright orange one next and not olive green, make the next one less easy to lose.

auscraft

Henry Arthur Readford
Reaction score
Agree go with a SAK , i like the orange idea bright and clear colour for emergency use

Templar

F. C. Selous DSO
Reaction score
At the very least put a bright orange lanyard or fob on it.... I tie mine to my belt loop so I don't lose mine...

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
I sent in my own little idea t'other day in that I thought the addition of a removeable ferroceum rod & also small knife steel would be well worth consideration.
bravo, a truly worth addition, hope it comes about.Another idea would be a replacable ferro rod feature attached to the outside of the SAK(like they do with the ToolLogic survival card), but then you would need a removable striker(hard to strike the ferro rod with the SAK mounted knife if the ferro rod is attached to the SAK)

Pistol

Russell Coight
Reaction score
Hey moondog
Ive got the new "soldier 08" model and its pretty good,one hand opening locking main blade, good saw .
The only problem i recon is the serrated main blade, its sharp as hell to start with but its definitley inconvinient with the serrations on the front half
Im pretty sure you can get one with just a straight edge and that would probably be the goods.

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
I had the "camping" model till recently (lost it too) and agree regarding the saw, it was a worthwhile item compared to most.... The one Templar suggested above would suit my needs.