Swedish Axe at Bunnings

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
I just thought I show you guys my new axe.I got this Hulta Bruks axe from the big green shed cost me $53.Here is a few pics looks like a pretty good axe to me for the cash.But I really no big expert on axes!!So let me know what you guys think..

[

The the axe head is made in Sweden by Hulta Bruks.So I think the local tool company"copper" put the handle at a later date...:confused:Still the handle is hickory and has a strait grain.The axe head is forged steel from one of the biggest axe makers Sweden.

Okay..not perfect but I see a lot lot worse.It is pretty sharp as is... But I work on it a bit more later.

The Hulta Bruks with my Gransfors Bruks after spiting a bit of wood in the backyard.It seems too me it seem a perry darn good axe for the price.I really don't use this size axe that much so I don't what to spend a that much cash on one.

Most other axes you will see in this kind of price range are really just junk.
So one to look out for if you are in the market for a full sized axe.

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this mate. Ive been on the lookout for a full sized axe of late and this one looks like a great price. It will be interesting to see how the Swedish steel goes against the Aussie hardwoods.

Ive been told that these European axes struggle against the harder woods here in Australia as the wood up there is alot softer. Ill be keen to hear how it goes over time.

Last edited:

graybear

Les Hiddins
Reaction score
I saw the exact same axe on the rack at Bunnings just the other day.... I was intrigued by the 'Sweden' stamp on it etc... Very Cool you got one. I remember thinking how heavy duty it felt, and how long the handle was!

I'm not sure who told you about European Axes struggling here in Australia Blake, that seems like a misconception to me. Although we do have some hard wood here in Australia, Europe and the Northern Hemisphere certainly has its fair share of hard woods like Oak and Beech... Axes such as Gransfors and even this Hulta Bruxs would certainly be up to the challenge of our woods. The grade of steel, the grind and the finish of the Axe do have a impact on its effectiveness, perhaps a cheaper brand failed and the rumour spread? Unless the old Australian axe companies of old lined their axes with unobtanium or something, there wouldn't be a big difference in manufacturing or finish anyway...

GB

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Its something ive heard from various people and read on a few different forums but its good to have that rumour quashed. Ive never owned a large axe myself so its not something i have had experiance with.

Thanks for the reply, very helpful

Corin

Jiffy
Staff member
Reaction score
What about the little one, the Gransfors Bruks did you get that from Bunnings? that is the sort of thing I am after.

Wave Man

Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Plum is a good brand, and I have heard nothing but good things about them.I would be very happy if I were you, you got a good ax for a good price.

graybear

Les Hiddins
Reaction score

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
What about the little one, the Gransfors Bruks did you get that from Bunnings? that is the sort of thing I am after.
No..bunnings is not much range when it comes to axes most of the stuff is made in china.I got that Gransfors Bruks online from the bushcraft store cost around $100.Which is a bit for a small axe but they made them to last and a cut above anything you will find at bunnings.

Steve

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Just saw this plumb axe at bunning today close to where i live, of all the axes on the racks there are about 5 of these axes left and heaps of all the other brands, must be a good seller or word of mouth has got around, im hoping. Im going to get it anyway as its only $ 29.95 now and comes with a free file, had a look at the grain in the handle and its straight, the head is not all that sharp but i suppose thats why they give you the file, but it has the same hulta brux made in sweden stamp on the head. Ill post pics on the weekend of it:) I dont own a full length axe so this will be my first one, i do have a small wetterlings which is great.

Ozhaggishead, how your plumb axe holding up and what are your thoughts nearly 3 months later?

Howling Dingo

Richard Proenneke
Staff member
Reaction score
Just saw this plumb axe at bunning today close to where i live, of all the axes on the racks there are about 5 of these axes left and heaps of all the other brands, must be a good seller or word of mouth has got around, im hoping. Im going to get it anyway as its only $ 29.95 now and comes with a free file, had a look at the grain in the handle and its straight, the head is not all that sharp but i suppose thats why they give you the file, but it has the same hulta brux made in sweden stamp on the head. Ill post pics on the weekend of it:) I dont own a full length axe so this will be my first one, i do have a small wetterlings which is great.

Ozhaggishead, how your plumb axe holding up and what are your thoughts nearly 3 months later?
Holding up fine,,I still see them at bunning now and then.Worth picking up good value for $50..!!