Swazi Wapiti Coat

Blake

Nest In the Hills
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I dont really have a really good rain jacket/coat. My old one is basically my old snowboarding jacket, pretty past it and not really waterproof.

This is going to be a half birthday present half investment from me. We are talking 6 months till my birthday but it gets pretty cold in winter here and I also want something for winter bush walks in all conditions.

At the top of my wishlist is the SWAZI Wapiti Coat: http://www.swazi.co.nz/Online-Shop/Wet-Weather-Gear/Wapiti-Coat/

Ive heard great things about their gear. Can anyone else lend some info and or any other suggestions?

Remember this is a big investment sort of gear so im looking for something that will last.

Tezza

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
I've never used any Swazi clothing, but it's a pretty well known brand in hunting circles, expensive, but some of the best you can buy, by all accounts. Those Kiwis sure do make good hunting gear. I can recommend Ridgeline clothing, another Kiwi brand, they also make brilliant rain jackets and coats, at about half the price of Swazi. Stoney Creek is another great, coincidentaly Kiwi, brand of clothing, probably in between Ridgeline and Swazi in terms of price. All three of these brands were originally aimed at the NZ hunting market, for hunting the Alps of the South Island where the Tahr and Chamois roam the high snowy tops, so they're all top notch bits of kit. Ridgeline is sold at Aussie Disposal stores.

Mulga

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I have a heap of Swazi gear and its great. I have a Goretex Thar anoark which is fantastic. I also have a few polarflece jackets and micro fleece thermals. Swazi are NZ made Huntec is too I think but the others are all Chinese made. You basically get what you pay for and the Swazi gear is top notch and actually functions as advertised.

Bezerker Viking

John McDouall Stuart
Reaction score
Personally I use a Driza-Bone, they're very warm, wind and rain resistant, had mine since the mid 90's it's still in fine condition and I haven't even had to re-waterproof it yet, cost about a 1/4 of what you're looking at buying.
This for me was also a long term investment.
Some Driza-Bone gear can be a bit heavy as it's made from HD canvas. It's also 100% Australian Made ! It's a little short in the arms for me now though, was thinking of selling it.
Here's a few pics of it.

Mulga

Les Stroud
Reaction score
I used a Driza-Bone and a Japara for years. Driza-bones are too heavy. The Swazi Thar Anork I have is waterproof, light weight, folds away small, stops the wind and dries out quickly.

payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Hunters Element is another good New Zealand brand of hunting clothing I have gear from them and also from ridgeline and stoney creek
it's all excellent quality and does everything it claims I'm sure Swazi would be in the same boat.

Tezza

Lofty Wiseman
Reaction score
.............Swazi are NZ made Huntec is too I think but the others are all Chinese made. You basically get what you pay for and the Swazi gear is top notch and actually functions as advertised.
Huntec no longer produces clothing, they're shut up shop, you can still buy fabric in their camo patterns from them though, as these are made overseas, as is the fabric and materials for Swazi, Stoney Creek, Ridgeline, Hunters Element etc etc, all the fabric and materials come from China/Asia

payney

Mors Kochanski
Reaction score
Regardless of where it actually comes from it is still really good gear

koyeha

Russell Coight
Reaction score
I can recommend Ridgeline clothing, another Kiwi brand, they also make brilliant rain jackets and coats, at about half the price of Swazi. Stoney Creek is another great, coincidentaly Kiwi, brand of clothing, probably in between Ridgeline and Swazi in terms of price......